New 2inch black and white maxima help

Fiberacci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I had my clam at around 150 par but it after 3 days it seemed like it was still trying to move. I then placed it on the bottom of the tank close to the same spot which is about 100 par. It stopped moving. I kept reading about how much par they needed and moved it back to thenold spot. Within 30 mins it dropped itself down to the old spot. I'm guessing that is just where it wants to be? Am I doing this right?

DSC02486.JPG

DSC02513.JPG

DSC02518.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Let it position itself . That's where it want to be. They are picky when it comes to hot spot for light and filter feeding
It does look nice !!

OP
OP
Fiberacci

Fiberacci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from top down u can see it developing a golden/brown rim. I put a rock in front of it because the flow was lifting the mantle.
DSC02625[1].JPG

DSC02553[1].JPG

OP
OP
Fiberacci

Fiberacci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to be a stunner! I like the mantle pattern as well.

Thanks! Im not sure if its an ultra Black or gold. I was gravity dripping kalk, but Im so worried about loosing it that I got a doser to make my kalk dosage consistent

OP
OP
Fiberacci

Fiberacci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I noticed the in siphon was wide open and slightly ripped. I figured it wasnt getting enough light. Ive raised it 2 inch from the bottom and running carbon. Previously my alk was around 7.1 and I raised it 8.0 without much affect to ph. Maybe the raise in alk increased the need for food for increased calcification??? Thr black also looks more brown, so increased zoo population? Heres how it looks now.

20191104_184811.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice, quit messing with it. It wont gape due to lighting, that is a reaction to the water. Not unusual for that to happen the first couple of days. Reactions to lighting are generally to open really wide (low light levels) and close down tight if too much (just about impossible). The worst thing you can do is to continue to move it around and change water conditions/parameters. 7 or 8 dKh is of no consequence to the clam, it will do fine in either so quite messing with it.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I noticed the in siphon was wide open and slightly ripped. I figured it wasnt getting enough light. Ive raised it 2 inch from the bottom and running carbon. Previously my alk was around 7.1 and I raised it 8.0 without much affect to ph. Maybe the raise in alk increased the need for food for increased calcification??? Thr black also looks more brown, so increased zoo population? Heres how it looks now.

20191104_184811.jpg
Different viewing angles will change the color/look of the clam. I would leave it be. An open incurrent siphon does not mean its gaping. Small clams can be delicate and it's best for now to leave the clam be where it seems happy. Happy meaning not turning over, ect. I would not worry about minor swings in chemistry but trying to keep it stable should be a priority.

OP
OP
Fiberacci

Fiberacci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different viewing angles will change the color/look of the clam. I would leave it be. An open incurrent siphon does not mean its gaping. Small clams can be delicate and it's best for now to leave the clam be where it seems happy. Happy meaning not turning over, ect. I would not worry about minor swings in chemistry but trying to keep it stable should be a priority.

I got a doser to stabilize. Yesterday it was so wide open the siphon ripped.

OP
OP
Fiberacci

Fiberacci

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice, quit messing with it. It wont gape due to lighting, that is a reaction to the water. Not unusual for that to happen the first couple of days. Reactions to lighting are generally to open really wide (low light levels) and close down tight if too

It has been a week since its been in my tank. It was so wide it ripped . Its in same spot just 2inches higher because it was on the tank bottom.
[/QUOTE]

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I had my clam at around 150 par but it after 3 days it seemed like it was still trying to move. I then placed it on the bottom of the tank close to the same spot which is about 100 par. It stopped moving. I kept reading about how much par they needed and moved it back to thenold spot. Within 30 mins it dropped itself down to the old spot. I'm guessing that is just where it wants to be? Am I doing this right?

DSC02486.JPG

DSC02513.JPG

DSC02518.JPG

Who are you going to listen to, some guy on the internet or your clam? Lol
If it isn’t moving it’s happy, so let it be. If you keep on moving it though it will eventually get stressed out to the point where it gets a pinched mantle and dies. I know it’s really tempting to move the clam around when you first get it, but the best thing to do is leave it be where it’s supposed to be. It looked very happy at the bottom, and the fact that it wasn’t moving should be a sign that it’s a good spot.

Edit- I’ve seen many clams with gaping syphon, none of them were ripped. Watch out for fish that could be nipping.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back