New 300 gallon reef! 8x2x30

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! New reefer here. First time ever doing a reef tank. Had a saltwater tank 10+ years ago but made so many mistakes. This time I'm doing it right. Got a used acrylic tank that is 8 feet by 2 feet by 30 inches. 300 gallon water volume. Most of my equipment is still coming. Lights, wave makers, sump, protein skimmer. But for now, I'm starting to fill the tank (ro system is 100 gallons a day so i've got a bit! :p) My sand will arrive soon as well which I will do around a 1.5 inch layer of. But tonight, I started my hardscape! All of it is just base rock. Going to purchase a few pieces of live rock once my tank is filled. Oh, and a cover for the stand just needs to be attached. Let me know your thoughts!
20230521_232317.jpg
20230521_232413.jpg
20230521_232437.jpg
20230521_232453.jpg

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan for the live rock is to add some more rock to the right side of the tank.

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am planning to move the rocks on the right side of the tank tonight. Tank is almost filled with RO/DI. Got my lights (ai blades), 2 wave makers (nero 7 and nero 3), sand, and picking up my sump soon!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am planning to move the rocks on the right side of the tank tonight. Tank is almost filled with RO/DI. Got my lights (ai blades), 2 wave makers (nero 7 and nero 3), sand, and picking up my sump soon!
What kind of sump are you getting?

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, it's been a bit but I am back! Let's just say it's been an eventful week. That included draining the tank, buying multiple bulkheads, and lots of frustration haha. Finally, my tank is filled with salt water (I used tropic marin), scape is set, no leaks, and all my equipment is running well.

Cycling wise, I am planning to add a few pieces of liverock and a bottle of the fritz turbo start 900 (refrigerated stuff). Going to start very slow with fish. I'm thinking of purchasing some anthias as my first fish. I am aware of their needs with multiple feedings a day. My plan is to have an auto feeder go off 2x a day (midday), with me feeding 2x a day once in the morning and night.

If I find a good looking group of them in person, I feel ready. I have a few 20 long tanks that I plan to use as quarantine. If not, there are a few sources I found online that seem pretty good.

I'll post some pictures of the tank later today. I like how my final re-scape turned out, and I'm glad its all working! Let me know any thoughts

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank. I turned my lights on white and not too strong, still looks pretty blown out lol. I am realizing reef tanks look much better in person than in photos. Overall I am pretty happy. Only thing is the sand is a bit too thin and you can see it got blown to the side (pretty sure this happened when I was dumping in salt). I have my nero 7 blowing on the left towards the surface in conjunction with my return, and the nero 3 on the right on a random setting. Can't wait to start getting some fish and coral!

20230531_194023.jpg
20230531_194001.jpg
Screenshot 2023-05-31 194956.png

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Getting my first fish next week. Ordered from two reputable pre-QT'd vendors so I can go ahead and put them in my DT. Getting 7 lyretail anthias (6 females and 1 male) and a carpenter flasher wrasse. They should ship Tuesday for arrival Wednesday.

Also added my first coral yesterday from a local coral expo. I will add photos later today.

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! A little update. Got my fish in. 1 was DOA and another died shortly after introduction :(. Rest of the anthias are doing good health wise but they are the most aggressive fish I've ever kept. I used to keep and breed african cichlids but it was never this bad. They are constantly dive bombing each other and damaging each others scales. I hate giving up on fish so soon, but I'm going to try and fish trap them all tomorrow for rehome. Will probably give them up for basically free, just don't want to deal with them. Not only is the male almost killing the females, he started to get aggressive towards my little wrasse. Thought I did enough research but clearly not, these guys are little devils. Feels really bad to put them through all this stress of trapping and rehoming, but I think it'll be for the best. Wish me luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back