New 30g stocking ideas

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I want to setup a new 30g tank with something unique in mind. I was thinking seahorses, which I’ve had before and can handle, but wouldn’t want to leave them for extended times while on vacation.

I was thinking a dwarf eel, but 30g is too small for anything full grown - was also thinking an engineer goby for that eel feel, but down the road it would get too big.

looking for ideas on some “unique” fish ideas for this size aquarium - easier to moderate care level would be ideal.

As far as corals go, I was thinking of using this tank as a good starter to try some acro’s out. Either that or just let Pulsing Xenia’s take over for some interesting movement.

Anybody have any recommendations??

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller wrasses, hawkfish, Midas blenny, firefish, fang blennies, algae eating blenny, and royal gramma are all interesting types of fish that would add intrigue to the tank. Blennies are very eel like.
I’d definitely start with corals like Xenia and leathers, but as the tank matures you can move on to stuff like acros.

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you have a lid? (this will exclude certain types of fish)
As of now it is rimless with no top - was thinking about making a DIY mesh top and possibly doing a firefish only tank.

I think a goby “species only” kind of tank could a neat idea

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller wrasses, hawkfish, Midas blenny, firefish, fang blennies, algae eating blenny, and royal gramma are all interesting types of fish that would add intrigue to the tank. Blennies are very eel like.
I’d definitely start with corals like Xenia and leathers, but as the tank matures you can move on to stuff like acros.

As far as wrasses go, I have a 6line in my 55g tank that has so far been very peaceful. I was thinking I’d move him out to the 30g so I can do other more peaceful wrasse in the main tank.

I think a fire fish “only” tank could be an interesting idea. I also have always really liked zebra bar dart fish.

if I can find one and I don’t mind hurting the wallet, I was thinking a blue dot watchmen

this is the hard part of a new tank! Trying to decide what you actually want it to look like in the future

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as wrasses go, I have a 6line in my 55g tank that has so far been very peaceful. I was thinking I’d move him out to the 30g so I can do other more peaceful wrasse in the main tank.
I don’t advice downsizing the six line. In a smaller tank, it will inevitably display aggression. Keep it in the 55 where it is more likely to stay peaceful, and get a more mellow wrasse for the 30g, if you decide to go that route.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t advice downsizing the six line. In a smaller tank, it will inevitably display aggression. Keep it in the 55 where it is more likely to stay peaceful, and get a more mellow wrasse for the 30g, if you decide to go that route.
Agree - the six will be happier in the 55-gallon.

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as he doesn’t start bullying anybody he can stay

anybody have experience keeping trio’s of blennies? A group of harp-tails would cool to see. That would kind of tap out the tank on stocking though. Can maybe fit a goby or two.

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got the tank in place yesterday. Probably slowly set it up over the next month. This week will be figuring out the rockwork/aquascape.

As much as I want this tank to be unique, I think it’s ultimately going to become home to my 4yr old cherub angel (in the corner of the bigger tank).

after having him so long I don’t want to get rid of him, but would like to get something more colorful in the 55g (I.e. a flame or coral beauty).

I also have a maroon clown who’s outgrown his 15g, so the 30 will probably become his home too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 39

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t downsize the angel. That’s only going to increase aggression and chances of going after corals.
I’d start trying out corals in the 55 for some color.

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t downsize the angel. That’s only going to increase aggression and chances of going after corals.
I’d start trying out corals in the 55 for some color.
He’s been fine with GSP and Hammers in the 55g so I’m not too concerned with him eating stuff in a smaller tank. Really want to “downsize” him to make room in the larger tank.

He’s a bit of a bully so a tank relatively just for him might do him good. Still all just ideas for now. I won’t be putting fish in this tank for 2-3 months probably.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I want to setup a new 30g tank with something unique in mind. I was thinking seahorses, which I’ve had before and can handle, but wouldn’t want to leave them for extended times while on vacation.

I was thinking a dwarf eel, but 30g is too small for anything full grown - was also thinking an engineer goby for that eel feel, but down the road it would get too big.

looking for ideas on some “unique” fish ideas for this size aquarium - easier to moderate care level would be ideal.

As far as corals go, I was thinking of using this tank as a good starter to try some acro’s out. Either that or just let Pulsing Xenia’s take over for some interesting movement.

Anybody have any recommendations??
you could go full passive exotic fish mode (hyper docile tank, no agressive fish at all), helfrichi pair, dracula goby, pink streaked wrasse, jester/hector pair.

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could go full passive exotic fish mode (hyper docile tank, no agressive fish at all), helfrichi pair, dracula goby, pink streaked wrasse, jester/hector pair.
A completely peaceful tank was one my initial thoughts - a bunch of smaller fish and focus on the reef.

That dang Cherub I have is my only hang up. I love him, but want him out of my 55g lol.

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody mind if I turn this into a build thread? I’m about to start messing with rock work tonight - could always go for some tips on the scape

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was looking through these rocks and nothing is really special
Gotta see what my lfs has - the bow front is stupid tall so need some larger/taller branching pieces

OP
OP
B

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody ever actually seen a pink streaked wrasse come into any of their lfs?
I feel like I’ve never actually seen one for sale. My go to stores occasionally have a possum wrasse or 2, but they usually charge some crazy price for them

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back