New 40 Breeder Build Thread Hydros vs Apex propject

Which controller/ monitoring System are you using ? If Other please post what it is.

• Apex

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Hydros

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive set up an experiment two tanks a 32 Bio-cube running on an Apex and a 40 Breeder running on a Hydros system. We are doing the same functions on both and comparing ease of set up functionality of devices and ease of interfaces. I have started a post on R2R for this project and thought I would see if anyone was interested in following, as of now both have ATO's , ATO low Reservoir monitor switch and door switch for cabinet light through break out system. ( Break Out Box on Apex and 0-10v connector on Hydros

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting project! Good luck with this adventure!

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unknown-3.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg
system is up and running 40 Breeder

Last edited:
OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive set up an experiment two tanks a 32 Bio-cube running on an Apex and a 40 Breeder running on a Hydros system. We are doing the same functions on both and comparing ease of set up functionality of devices and ease of interfaces. I have started a post on R2R for this project and thought I would see if anyone was interested in following, as of now both have ATO's , ATO low Reservoir monitor switch and door switch for cabinet light through break out system. ( Break Out Box on Apex and 0-10v connector on Hydros)

274078077_532774358072527_7990772886639547672_n.jpg

Bio-Cube ( Apex)

263986875_679107183277055_9036543909980754697_n.jpg

Bio-Cube Cabinet (Apex)

272952376_632383541172122_5398703813574216021_n.jpg

40 Breeder (Hydros)

272965771_2911159812508180_1241912248177227488_n.jpg

40 Breeder Cabinet (Hydros) still some wire management to do. front facing controller has presented issues with wire management, but minor and easily fixed.

apex:hydros home.jpeg

Apex/ Hydros web based home screens (Hydros allows for setting multiple pages configured to your liking or needs like the Dashboards in the Apex local interface.

apex:Hydrosgraphs.jpeg

Apex/ Hydros Graphs Hydros allows graphs to be on a page or set as a display option and you can see multiple at same time with out overlaying them. I have not yet discovered this function in the Apex Fusion browser.

Last edited:

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread! I saw your post on fb and would have commented there too but I’m in fb jail haha. Me personally I’m team Hydros, but would love to see some actual decent real time side by side set-up comparisons

Last edited:

firefighterj80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome thread! I saw your post on fb and would have commented there too but I’m in fb jail haha. Me personally I’m team Hydros, but would love to see some actual decent real time side by side set-up comparisons
Noticed your username, what part of Cincy? I'm from West Chester but live in Charleston, SC

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday was water change day on the two tanks.

On the Hydros I was able to simply hit the water change mode preset and had plenty time to complete water change.

On the Apex tank I have not yet programmed water change mode to one of the 4 available feed mode settings so had to turn each pump or item individually then back on when done. This is the first time I realize that the Apex has the capability to do something but I have not done it yet because it's easier to just manually turn things on and off than to do the programming myself. ( I will be setting up the Feed B to do water changes this evening or better yet possibly install a push button on my BOB for this function).

Out of the box Id say Hydros for the win in this category.

Also today I will be adding a leak detector sensor to my Hydros a $30 sensor that covers tank perimeter and done.

Apex LDK kit 154.95 a new module and 2 probes ( which if not placed at point of leak could take a while to detect the leak where Hydros rope sensor completely circles tank for full coverage.

As I stated I will do the same thing to each tank so will be buying the LDK kit for my Apex to compare install and set up in the near future.

Having said that initial price of leak detection for coverage area is a win for Hydros.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early morning 3/1/22:

I am measuring ALK in both tanks daily to track usage data for setting up dosing pumps.

Hydros: I am required to keep a note pad by the tank to write down the results or create a google sheet (Big Google Guy) so that I can create a graph later.

Apex: I am able to enter the data daily right into my Fusion App and the App creates the graph for me as well as allows easy correlation between multiple parameters.

In this category the Win goes to the Apex

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I went back into the programming for the Apex and with a couple questions and a couple articles read here on R2R was able to figure out the feed and water change programming on the Apex tested it last night and it worked perfect as I need it to. issue prior was lack of understanding of basic programming. (Hydros removes this step as programming is done for you). Did have to go into Hydros and change set off times for feed mode and water change mode as both were set at 15 minutes. changed water change to 1 hour and feed to 10 minutes. (Personal preference here). this category is a push both great.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did in that family business took my time. Tanks are still running i just have not added anything as of yet. both are stable and running as they should with no clear winner both are great systems

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 124 75.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back