New 60 Gallon Cube Build

reefvet2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I've been in the hobby for a little over a year now and have been successful with my nano tanks. I just bought a gently used 60 gallon cube drilled with a corner oveflow and a stand. Will be setting it up in a few months so want to spend some time researching equipment and fish stocking. Thoughts on my fish list and advice for the types of equipment listed below? Anything I'm missing? I currently have an xr radion 15 gen4 pro I will use for lighting. Thanks!

Fish list
-Pair of clowns
-McCosker's wrasse
-purple firefish
-flame angel
-pink spotted goby
-Midas blenny
- 3 Chromis
-Melanarus wrasse
-blue spotted jawfish
-fathead anthias

Tank Equipment List
Return Pump??
Powerheads??
Sand - caribsea live sand
Rock - caribsea liferock tree
Sump - ruby 20C
Skimmer - Icekap K1 skimmer
Refugium set up - algea barn - 300
Heater??

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a sump user, So i'm not going to speculate a return pump. I like eheim jager thermometers, for powerheads depends if you want a single large one or multiple smaller ones. What kind of coral are you planning on, or FOWLR? If you end up getting an anemone make sure that guards are easily accessible for whatever powerhead you are going to choose. Make sure you have a good lid for those carpet surfers!

Maybe cruise the build threads for other 60 cubes and see what they are running.

OP
OP
R

reefvet2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a sump user, So i'm not going to speculate a return pump. I like eheim jager thermometers, for powerheads depends if you want a single large one or multiple smaller ones. What kind of coral are you planning on, or FOWLR? If you end up getting an anemone make sure that guards are easily accessible for whatever powerhead you are going to choose. Make sure you have a good lid for those carpet surfers!

Maybe cruise the build threads for other 60 cubes and see what they are running.

Thanks so much! For powerheads I was kind of thinking multiple small ones. I need to sit down and look at other threads to determine flow because I want to make sure that is has good flow and limited dead spots. I'm planning on doing a mixed reef and would like to have one anemone in the future. And yes definitely a lid. Was going to shop around for a premade one or possibly make one myself out of one of those DIY screen kits.

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your decisions here, use this as your build thread to track your decisions and progress. DIY ones are easy if you don't find a suitable lid. I like Jebao SLW powerheads, you can use 2 with one controller, other brands offer schedules and apps, depends on what you want to spend and what features you want.

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing the same research for the past couple months. There are so many options out there now. Here are the choices I have made for my 60 cube. Just need the tank to come in and get it all running.

OP
OP
R

reefvet2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluespot jawfish
Mccosker wrasse
Fathead anthias

Awesome! Yeah with my list I really tried to hit color and then areas of the tank (sand dwellers, mid range, high range). And then of course mostly shoot for peaceful fish.

OP
OP
R

reefvet2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an updated equipment list. Let me know your thoughts! Won't probably set this tank up until June after I move but wanted to get an idea of what I needed early to hopefully start saving up more and buying off hand people if I can.

Tank List
Return Pump - DC1600
Finish plumbing - bulkheads
Powerheads - one MP40 and one MP10
Sand - tropic edem reef flakes
Rock - caribsea liferock tree
Sump - ruby 20C - buying used
Skimmer - Classic 110SSS Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus
Refugium set up - algea barn
Heater - eheim
RODI 5 stage system BRS

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im using 2 MP40s on my 60 cube on perpendicular sides and seems like its great flow. Easy for me sort of due to bare bottom but still have dead spots behind rockwork in back corner

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back