Steve's 60 Cube

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after thinking and planning and a little dreaming over the last couple months. I have decided to finally get started with my return to reefing. The tank will eventually be a BTA tank with a pair of Ocellaris and maybe 4 or 5 other fish.

So far I have put together a list of the basics. If I have forgotten anything or if you see something that may not work, please feel free to give your opinion.

Planet 60 Gallon Tank, no overflow

Fiji Cube LoPro 800gph overflow

Trigger Emerald Cube 20

Trigger Emerald 5g ATO tank

Tunze ATO

Varios4 return

25w Pentair UV

Deltec 600i skimmer

Apex Classic - EB8, EB4, FMM

2x200w BRS heaters w/Ranco controller

2x Nero3 pumps

Kessil A360X

I have picked up all the items on my list, except for the tank. I'm waiting to hear back from Planet or my LFS to confirm that the panels are not tempered. Once I receive that confirmation as well as crate/freight costs, I'll be placing my order.

24x24x25.jpg
IMG_1380.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great start

OP
OP
sgarron

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to get some work done on the stand this weekend. 24.5 wide x 30.75 deep, 36 tall. I made the stand extra deep so I can push it just about up to the wall and still have space behind the tank for the overflow, plumbing, and UV.

standfront.jpg
standside.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgarron

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up on 10 weeks waiting for the tank. It sucks, but does give me time to get things ready. Stand is pretty much done now, Relocated a light switch to avoid future issues reaching it, and ran a piece of 1/2" pvc out the side of the house for skimmer fresh air intake. Also have the 24v battery backup ready to go for the Varios 4.
IMG_1453.jpg
IMG_1455.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg
IMG_1450.jpg

OP
OP
sgarron

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was informed I should be receiving the tank this week, sure hope that's true. A couple minor finishing touches and a quick coat of paint on the wall and I'm done.
IMG_1500.jpg
IMG_1501.jpg
IMG_1502.jpg
IMG_1503.jpg

OP
OP
sgarron

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the call this afternoon that the tank was in. Got it home, drilled it, painted the back and put it in place. Hope to get the plumbing and electrical finished tomorrow. Should be wet by the weekend!

IMG_1508.jpg

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great!

I'm at the step where I have to drill some holes for my Fiji Cube overflow and the returns as well. I'm not looking forward to it. How did you use the Fiji Cube Template and which side did you drill from?

OP
OP
sgarron

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great!

I'm at the step where I have to drill some holes for my Fiji Cube overflow and the returns as well. I'm not looking forward to it. How did you use the Fiji Cube Template and which side did you drill from?
Thanks!

I lined up the overflow about where I wanted it and saw that it was about the same distance as the template placed upside down, so that's what I did. I clamped the template on the outside of the tank and a piece of 1x6 on the inside and drilled from the outside in. The 1x6 gives support when drilling through and really minimizes chipping. The hole came out really clean.

Take your time, go slow, keep the hose running, very little pressure, and keep the drill level. It's not difficult, just can't rush it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BOOM! Congrats on the new tank!

OP
OP
sgarron

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's full. All equipment is hooked up except the UV, I can't get that quartz sleeve to seal. I'll reach out to Pentair next week. Monday will be rock and sand day, if nothing else comes up.

DSC00569.JPG
DSC00569aa.jpg

OP
OP
sgarron

sgarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle completed about 2 weeks ago, decided to wait until I returned from vacation to add any inhabitants. Returned from Aruba Saturday night, did a 25% water change today, will run a full battery of test in the AM and then off to the LFS...

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! What are you planning on starting with livestock wise? Are you planning on doing a QT?

By the way thanks for your words of confidence earlier! Helped me get up the courage to finally drill my tank. Way easier than I expected.

Back