New 600 Gallon Build - Help

TriggerFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sold my two RedSea XXL750s and ordered a 120" L x 36"D x 24"H tank (450 Gallons + 150 Gallons Sump - 4 Drains & 4 Returns) and will try a mixed reef.
I have never had anything larger than 200 gallons and need some assistance with some of the gear I will need for this build.
I hope some of you with these larger builds can assist me based on your experience in what works and what doesn't work as good.
I am mostly looking for reliability, looks, and ease of use. Not on the cheap side either but being moderate with my wallet.

1) Heating - After reading so many tank crashes due to heater explosions and malfunctions, I wonder if an in-line heater would be a better option?
Some local friends suggest two Finnex 500 watts and a third as a spare.

2) Return pump - I had Vectra M2s in my RS XXL750s and they were "OK". Once failed but after a quick disassembly and clean-up it worked fine again.
Being a critical item, I thought about an Abyzz IPU-A400, thoughts?

3) Calcium Reactor - I am mostly settled on a DaStaCo2 A-2. I would have preferred an A-3, but my stand is just 36" height.

4) Ozone Reactor - Avast Marine Works Mutiny Ozone Reactor V2 w/Ozotech Poseidon 200mg/hr (Just bought this during Cyber Monday)

5) UV Sterilizer - AquaUV or any commercial brand?

6) Dosing - Either Neptune System DOS or KDH Guardian?

7) Powerheads - I know MP60s should probably be my first choice, but wonder I have seen many gorgeous reefs using other brands - Suggestions?

8) Lighting - I left this for last as I feel this is my biggest challenge right now. I currently have 6 x Radion G4 Pros I removed from my RS XXL750s.
I would like a hybrid approach and use T5s as a supplement. Being 120" L and 36" D it seems I am extremely limited in my fixture options.
At this point, I am willing to start from scratch and try something completely new as long PAR/PUR and coloration blows me away.
Someone suggested Metal Halides and T5s, but I admit I am a little bit worried about my electricity bill and heat.
Again, this area is where I need most of the help. If needed I can discard my Radion G4 Pros and I would gladly install them in my coral QT

9) FYI - Just in case, I already have a Neptune APEX

I REALLY appreciate any help you guys can provide as I am moving ahead pretty fast with this build.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Heating - I would install a radiant heating system using a natural gas hot water heater or tank-less water heater. It will save you a bunch of money and it eliminates the possibility of an electric heater failure. A heat exchanger can be built DIY or aquarium engineering makes a nice heat exchanger with controllers. Just have an electric heater on standby in an emergency kit. Inline heaters are an option but they are really expensive and draw a lot of power compared to a radiant heating system.

2. Abyzz would be the best choice if you want to spend the money. I think as long as you have a spare pump on hand that can be connected easily there is minimal issues with using most brands of return pumps. I use a reeflo hammerhead but it does require seal changes every year and it is an external pump.

3. Can't go wrong with a DaStaCo. I consider one of these reactors but the only drawback I saw was the availability of parts in the United States. Might want to consider having some spares on the shelf or a backup plan if something breaks.

4. I would vote against OZONE for safety reasons. The UV will more or less accomplish the same thing as it does have some oxidizing properties without the safety risks of OZONE. I know a lot of people still use OZONE and it is effective but its just my preference to not use that in my home.

5. UV sterilizer - Pentair aquatics makes some nice units. They acquired emperor aquatics an still manufacture the same UV sterilizers. I have a an 80watt high output unit on my tank.

6. If you are planning to dose trace elements or other small quantity liquids the DOS has lots of good reviews. Note (The DOS is not rated for at a continuious duty cycle so as long as it is for normal dosing operations it should be fine.)

7. I have been a fan of the Gyre pumps for pushing the water the length of the tank. Otherwise Rosmont pumps, MP60s are a good choice.

8. Lighting I would go with the Radion T5 combo or use some reef bright XHOs strips. You can always add more lights as needed. My reef tank is 96"Lx48"Wx24"H I use 4 x G4 Pros and 8x39watt T5s.

Create an emergency kit for the tank so that anyone tank sitting or even an emergency contact has instructions and some basics like battery operated air pumps, batteries, carbon pads. Buys you time to get home or get qualified help to someone that is not an aquarium expert.

9. While you have an apex I would suggest not putting all critical equipment on the apex. This will allow you to avoid a single point of failure. I keep my return pump and in tank waterflow pumps off the apex and on seperate electrical circuits.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want some ideas along the lines you are looking at, check my equipment list on my build thread for the new 530usg system from page 71 post 1415 onwards.

Link in signature below

There have been a few changes including a Deltec Twin Tech calcium reactor

And a big build probably won’t be ‘moderate on your wallet’! Lol

Nhltc99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Terrence's post on Facebook about his new heating system in his tank. He's using his home hot water with valves controlled by his Apex and PEX running through his sump. The post is in the group "Official Neptune Systems Apex Community Group" and was just posted yesterday.

If you can swing the Abyzz, its likely the best option for a large tank, especially if you have high head pressure. If head pressure is minimal, multiple smaller pumps can be cheaper and easier to adjust. 2-4 Vectra/Varios/Cor20 are still way cheaper than the Abyzz and if one goes down the tank will likely be unaffected for quite some time.

Regarding lighting, I'm sure T5's and radion's would do great over that tank set up. Two 5' Hybrid set ups with 3-4 radions per T5 unit, depending what you are keeping for corals. If you wanted to change it up, consider looking into Orphek. 3-4 Atlantik V4's down the length of the tank and possibly some OR2 bars to help supplement the 3' width would light the tank extremely well I bet. Depending how what you have for corals already, you could probably get away with LED units over just the center 6-8' section and adding more to the ends at a later time when stuff grows out to help save some cash up front.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 83 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back