New 65 Gallon, First timer 5 days running so far so good.

webbrage

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
178
Reaction score
67
Location
Broward
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my name is kyle I'm new to reef tanks. I started my first tank 5 days ago and been running awesome so far. I'm using my 48'' Orbit LED for now and 1 evolution box on top and one on the sump. Im using these for now and will upgrade by the time cycling is done. I have a overflow box, to a 27 gallon tank i had laying around. then i was given a 60 gallon sump I'm thinking of using for when i get my 75 up and going. So i went and got the water checked the day after i set it up and the salinity was 28 he said for me to drop 4 gallon and top off with RO so i did and i am going to go check it tomorrow. Below are pictures of the tank from today.

IMG_8938.JPG


IMG_8955.JPG


IMG_8956.JPG
 
Looking good!
Don't be alarmed when diatoms or algae shows up :)
 
lol yea i already got it i also been using a product called stability cause the store had a card minimum and its that bacteria in a bottle. Just a kick starter
 
i put a cube of mysis shrimp under one rock on day one and again on day two a different rock. should 2 cubes be good enough about as much meat as a full size shrimp i figure since i didn't have a shrimp
 
I think you will be just fine with that :)
Enjoy your tank and watch it evolve!
 
Update, fell in love with the hobby so much landed a nice job working at healthy aquatics in boynton beach if your in the area stop by and check us out. Tank is doing amazing, still need a protein skimmer but so far so good
 
I'm jealous. Your setup in your tank looks so much more well laid out than mine and I spent like 5 hours on it!
 
Update, fell in love with the hobby so much landed a nice job working at healthy aquatics in boynton beach if your in the area stop by and check us out. Tank is doing amazing, still need a protein skimmer but so far so good

You dont need a protein skimmer actually. The ocean doesn't have one, niether does mine. A lot of people dont use it but a lot of people do. I personally found more success without one. But noticed my water was cleaner with the skimmer.
 
I'm jealous. Your setup in your tank looks so much more well laid out than mine and I spent like 5 hours on it!
I literally threw the rock in, i think its a little to much rock i wish i had some shelf pieces.
 
You dont need a protein skimmer actually. The ocean doesn't have one, niether does mine. A lot of people dont use it but a lot of people do. I personally found more success without one. But noticed my water was cleaner with the skimmer.
Your right but I'm cycled already but will end up getting one i know I'm going to upgrade tanks so I'm going to buy a decent size one. but so far so good the clean up crew has been doing a great job i had a bacteria bloom a week ago and i cut my lighting schedule and it cleared up. After i noticed i had Coraline spots all over a rock i have
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new