New 75g reef questions

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded from a 40 to a 75g I did wc on the 40 every other week because I was super overstocked. But the last month I didn’t do a wc and the tank started looking decent at the end. I was wondering how often should I do wc on the 75 with 6 fish feeding nori once daily and a little homemade meat food that consist of raw shrimp pellet algae reef roids and a little garlic clove and juice blended up.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a tough question as there are so many things to consider.

I have a couple nano tanks that I need to do once a week and a newer 75 gallon so I normally just mix up enough water to do all my tanks at the same time. However from my experience the longer a thank has been up and running the less water changes it needs once you get the eco system sufficient. I know some people who hardly if ever do water changes but this is more of a destination than a start.

Really the answer is as many times as you need to which I realize is not really a helpful one, but like I said too many parameters to really give an exact answer. You could always increase the testing to see what the threshold is where a WC is necessary, but that may be more work than just changing the water depending on what sort of setup you have.

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention that when I moved over I used all my water and sand etc from the 40 over to the 75

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on so many things .

what are the nutrient levels ?
Nutrient export and replenishing essential elements are the main reason for water changes

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back