New Algae Turf Scrubber.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why use this and not just keep a refugium? aint it easier to just cut off some chaeto then to have to power another device and space issues as well?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's growing GHA and some slime so I gather it's still breaking in while it's dealing with the nutrients. My NO3 is down to around under 10ppm PO4 0.03ppm. I am due to carry out some more tests in the next to few days.

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why use this and not just keep a refugium? aint it easier to just cut off some chaeto then to have to power another device and space issues as well?

I find you need tons of chaeto to keep up with nutrient control depending how much you feed. Just started with ATS to reduce or remove the chaeto, supposed to be more efficient. Also, the light in a fuge/sump caused bubble algae and unwanted growth in the sump and baffles, which impeded flow and a pain to clean. ATS is much easier to manage.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find you need tons of chaeto to keep up with nutrient control depending how much you feed. Just started with ATS to reduce or remove the chaeto, supposed to be more efficient. Also, the light in a fuge/sump caused bubble algae and unwanted growth in the sump and baffles, which impeded flow and a pain to clean. ATS is much easier to manage.
yea actually looking into it, a refugium would be more work. i would be more inclined to getting the ATS or a reactor.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All things considered and square inch for square inch a waterfall ATS is more efficient and IMO & IME the best way to remove nutrients from the DT. All algae filters have their pros and cons but IME a waterfall ATS has more pros than cons of any other form of algae filter produced so far.

ALs FLorida Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then put some back and feed well as I do.
Heavy feedings have to be done throughout the day not just at one time. I am only have for about 3 hours each day of my light cycle so that wouldn't really work. The sump with the Chae chaeto gives similar results just not as efficient so that works for me better

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy feedings have to be done throughout the day not just at one time. I am only have for about 3 hours each day of my light cycle so that wouldn't really work. The sump with the Chae chaeto gives similar results just not as efficient so that works for me better
My fish are awake and swimming around well before my lights come on so I feed once then. In the evening I feed twice the last time just before the lights go off. When home I often feed 4 times.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the scrubber working?
This was the last clean,
20170401_121759.jpg
20170401_121814.jpg
ow.

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you now have something to keep the algae from growing up the screen and possibly clogging the slot in the pipe.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back