New Apex User

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Apex user here! A local buddy of mine recently bought all of the equipment off of another reefer who was getting out. I got lucky enough to snag the Apex Classic, Break Out Box and Probes for a great deal. I went this route for a few reasons, the real-time access anywhere functionality, NOT having to buy a separate heater controller, the ability to program the skimmer outlet to delay start, no more kessil controller and the list can go on. I got it setup ASAP, and then upgraded an old router I had laying around with the DD-WRT firmware. I work in IT so this hasn't been the most difficult piece of equipment but there is a learning curve as I don't write code in my position. None the less the information I have found online has been great! Some of it is outdated of course (older version) and I am glad I jumped in when I did. Seems like email and SMS was a challenge in previous versions.

I've already been able to code my outlets and alarms, I ordered some float switches and they should be here Wednesday for the BOB. I need to dive into the virtual outlets and profiles next. I'll also be adding another EB8 to the system down the road. I'd like to have a light plugged into an outlet and a camera inside the stand, the objective is to turn the light on remotely and view the sump when I am away. I am also having a custom ATO container built with a float switch holder for low level alerts.

All in all, I knew I would get an Apex as it was on my list when I started this build. It just happened sooner than expected and really was great timing.

I did my first water change with the Apex online this past weekend, later that evening I was looking at my temp graph and wondering why my temp dropped well below my set points. Then I realized that with it getting colder out and mixing the salt in the garage I'll need to heat it before hand. I got spoiled with the warm summer temps, without the Apex this would have been an after thought. I knew I would need to heat the water this winter, just didn't know I would have to start that already!

This is a Red Sea Reefer 250 -

F94E62C5-8B10-4BED-A3FD-3736CE604DAB_zpsrc6amgi6.jpg

0BC84925-4F31-44F6-B855-EDEDE6DFAB04_zps3iogsk7y.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting it up and running so efficiently. You'll love the notifications when something goes awry and gives you a heads up!

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice, this is next on my purchase list but things are working out ATM with reefkeeper. Maybe when i upgrade my tank i will get this.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting it up and running so efficiently. You'll love the notifications when something goes awry and gives you a heads up!

I setup a "test" outlet when I was coding the notifications. Pretty amazing I can login to fusion from my desk at work and toggle my test outlet on and off to verify code!

very nice, this is next on my purchase list but things are working out ATM with reefkeeper. Maybe when i upgrade my tank i will get this.

If it isn't broke done fix it!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back