new aquarium

cooksterni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an old 120g aio but have purchased a new 90g which includes a sump (Waterbox 90.3).

My plan was to transfer water, live rock and filter media to the new aquarium. Only thing new will be live sand. Would it be ok to transfer the fish straight away? I only have 2 clowns and a tang, they are all about 15 years old and this is my first tank move.

Thanks in advance

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your parameters are good, then yes. If you have elevated nitrates, phosphates, etc.... you may want to just add new sand. (or if you don't want to rinse sand for two hours.)

OP
OP
cooksterni

cooksterni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your parameters are good, then yes. If you have elevated nitrates, phosphates, etc.... you may want to just add new sand. (or if you don't want to rinse sand for two hours.)
Yeah nitrates and phosphate are high. I was planning on new live sand. Not quite sure how much I will need. Then also possibly half new water and half water from old aquarium

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah nitrates and phosphate are high. I was planning on new live sand. Not quite sure how much I will need. Then also possibly half new water and half water from old aquarium
I'm about to go through the same thing.... moving from a 90 to a 127 gallon. I have struggled with high nitrates for a long while. Finally have them down to about 10. (Which is amazing, as I was beyond testable for a while there.)
In general, my plan is to order live sand from whomever is diving in Florida... add that and my live rock to the new tank with enough new water to dial in the plumbing. I'll transfer my sensitive fish and corals to QT nd let the rest ride it out in the old tank while I disconnect the sump, clean it and set it up on the new build. I'll keep an eye on parameters in process. I figure that it may take a week to move everything around. The last swap I did (45 gallon bow to the 90), I tried to reuse as much water as I could and it really did nothing of value one way or the other. Some water will make it but I'll start making fresh Tropic Marin Syn-Biotic in the days leading up to the switch.
Good luck and let the fun begin!!

Coral-vault

DFW's Premier Aquatics Dealer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an old 120g aio but have purchased a new 90g which includes a sump (Waterbox 90.3).

My plan was to transfer water, live rock and filter media to the new aquarium. Only thing new will be live sand. Would it be ok to transfer the fish straight away? I only have 2 clowns and a tang, they are all about 15 years old and this is my first tank move.

Thanks in advance
You shouldn't have any problems. I like to use a live bacteria also to knock out any ammonia at the same time! Good luck!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i would add dry sand. I used to add live sand many years ago but at least in my experience found it not only unnecessary, but actually troublesome. Now i just used established live rock and nothing else from old setup and works great.

Back