New Aquascape. What do you think?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently had to move my tank for the second time (Two major accomplishments let’s just say) and I redid my Aquascape because I didn’t like my other one for a multitude of reasons. Started to address what I needed for the fish and corals (LPS dominant) so this structure is designed for them. It has a lot of caves and hiding spaces for my royal gramma and Midas blenny and has a lot of surface area for corals. What else would you recommend I do to this scape to make it perfect
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently had to move my tank for the second time (Two major accomplishments let’s just say) and I redid my Aquascape because I didn’t like my other one for a multitude of reasons. Started to address what I needed for the fish and corals (LPS dominant) so this structure is designed for them. It has a lot of caves and hiding spaces for my royal gramma and Midas blenny and has a lot of surface area for corals. What else would you recommend I do to this scape to make it perfect
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I'm down with it....I like how it goes close to surface for any species that might like it up there, some don't like it so close to back glass but if like myself you dont mind a bit of growth on glass back there, or can reach down with scraper then have at it. Maybe another island of a small rock separate if you can fit it for something you feel might be invasive? Xenia owner talking here lol....

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm down with it....I like how it goes close to surface for any species that might like it up there, some don't like it so close to back glass but if like myself you dont mind a bit of growth on glass back there, or can reach down with scraper then have at it. Maybe another island of a small rock separate if you can fit it for something you feel might be invasive? Xenia owner talking here lol....
The island I have to the left has a frag of xenia. Then it withered away. Waiting to see if it comes back. Xenia hasn’t done well in my tank for some reason

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The island I have to the left has a frag of xenia. Then it withered away. Waiting to see if it comes back. Xenia hasn’t done well in my tank for some reason
When it latches on? ....well lol. You may curse yourself or like me just accept it. It tends to munch up my nitrates so that is good. However encroaching on my Duncan heavily now, time to frag it off best I can....this was from a tiny frag a year ago btw....oh boy....

20211018_202822.jpg

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it latches on? ....well lol. You may curse yourself or like me just accept it. It tends to munch up my nitrates so that is good. However encroaching on my Duncan heavily now, time to frag it off best I can....this was from a tiny frag a year ago btw....oh boy....

20211018_202822.jpg
Man I wish. Mine didn’t even pulse (pulsed at store). I’m pretty sure it’s bc of my nitrates being impossible to raise. About to start dosing it because no matter how much I feed, 0 nitrate .26 phosphate.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I wish. Mine didn’t even pulse (pulsed at store). I’m pretty sure it’s bc of my nitrates being impossible to raise. About to start dosing it because no matter how much I feed, 0 nitrate .26 phosphate.
Yep likely. I tried it in past a few years back and zero luck, low nitrates. No skimmer last year or so, nitrates started to elevate and it took hold... really freakin well lol....too well

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! The only thing I would add, as others have mentioned, is another small island but it's certainly not needed especially if the coral you have on the sand will take up a lot of space. Good job!

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep likely. I tried it in past a few years back and zero luck, low nitrates. No skimmer last year or so, nitrates started to elevate and it took hold... really freakin well lol....too well
Probably gonna turn my skimmer off. It’s honestly disgusting how much it takes out in that collection. It’s a tank. So may just give it a rest and see what happens.
I like it! The only thing I would add, as others have mentioned, is another small island but it's certainly not needed especially if the coral you have on the sand will take up a lot of space. Good job!
Thanks! I have a few pieces of small rock in my back chambers I may take out

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably gonna turn my skimmer off. It’s honestly disgusting how much it takes out in that collection. It’s a tank. So may just give it a rest and see what happens.

Thanks! I have a few pieces of small rock in my back chambers I may take out
I started cycling mine a few years ago, and that seemed to help in terms of raising nitrates slightly as well. I was at zero constant for almost 15 years? I started cycling it for a few months and went up to about 5 which is a nice number imo. We now sit at about 10-15 depending on the day/ week with no skimmer. I'd like to keep it in the 10 range preferably.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started cycling mine a few years ago, and that seemed to help in terms of raising nitrates slightly as well. I was at zero constant for almost 15 years? I started cycling it for a few months and went up to about 5 which is a nice number imo. We now sit at about 10-15 depending on the day/ week with no skimmer. I'd like to keep it in the 10 range preferably.
What do you mean by cycling it? Like the nitrogen cycle?

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by cycling it? Like the nitrogen cycle?
I 'cycled ' it by running it on a timer, 6 hours at first, then down to 2 hours a day. If you dump it completely, for anymore than a day or two you will imo need to replace some of the oxygenation it would provide. This can be accomplished through my experience with a small HOB filter, just something to drop a filter floss into, or some carbon if you feel you need it.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! What are the yellow zoas in the 4th picture called?
bowsers
782C2D27-6252-49BF-8243-DE822CA28614.jpeg
02AF890A-6195-4370-877C-05B19183C884.jpeg

I 'cycled ' it by running it on a timer, 6 hours at first, then down to 2 hours a day. If you dump it completely, for anymore than a day or two you will imo need to replace some of the oxygenation it would provide. This can be accomplished through my experience with a small HOB filter, just something to drop a filter floss into, or some carbon if you feel you need it.
what are you dumping? Cycling bacteria, nitrate, kinda lost sorry.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back