New Avatar chalice dead?

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these two chalice from my LFS, dipped them in CoralRx, briefly rinsed in RODI, scrubbed the frag discs using a toothbrush dipped in H2O2, then put it in my QT.

When I got them there was some skeleton on the disc showing but the eyes and tissue overall looked healthy. To my surprise, the corals look dead this morning and I’m not sure why.

There’s no flouresence under marine light and under natural light it’s all brown.

Does this look dead to you or is there a chance it could recover?

I did not expose the coral to any light from the time I brought it home until morning.

The QT is fresh saltwater that was mixed a week or two ago, so plenty of calcium and mag. The other other thing in the QT is is microbacter 7 and a small power head flowing at 270gph, and a heater that’s holding at 78-79F.

Any idea why it’s so wrecked? This is the same protocol I’ve followed for favia, zoanthids, and frogspawn, all of which sailed through a 2 week quarantine and are thriving in the DT.

IMG_0923.jpeg IMG_0922.jpeg

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the peroxide burned the tissue around the plug.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot tell if they are dead or not. White light might help. If you can see skeleton, then they might be dead.

One of the great things about coral QT is that you don't have to do a harsh dip (CoralRx can be harsh to some things), scrub, RO and h2o2 all at once or immediately after a transport. I might suggest that you change your routine to not do all of this at once since you don't have to risk putting them in a display right away.

OP
OP
bitstream

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot tell if they are dead or not. White light might help. If you can see skeleton, then they might be dead.

One of the great things about coral QT is that you don't have to do a harsh dip (CoralRx can be harsh to some things), scrub, RO and h2o2 all at once or immediately after a transport. I might suggest that you change your routine to not do all of this at once since you don't have to risk putting them in a display right away.

One of the two pictures is under white light.

I’m open to changing the routine, though it has worked well with multiple corals in the past. Obviously some corals are more sensitive than others, so I suppose there is some upside to not doing too many things at once, however, you’re still shocking the corals each time you take them out to perform another step.

OP
OP
bitstream

bitstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, the store was kind enough to replace one of the two chalices free of charge. They recommended a half strength CoralRx, no h2o2, and after temperature acclimating just going straight into the DT.

The rest two try gave me were quite clean, just some algae and a couple amphipods were found. The new one was even cleaner, just some algae around the base.

I’m going to leave the dead/dying corals in the QT to see if they perk back up, but I’m pretty sure they’re goners.

IMG_0925.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back