NEW Big Girl

Kuhmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well been in the hobby for I think going on less than 2 years now and boy has it taken me by the reins, I started with a 50 gallon that didn't last long then went to a 120 gallon neptunian that I completely redone.
(Build thread for both of those too)
Now, for my final.. and last upgrade.. the DREAM I have!

310 gallon 8 foot 30 deep reef! Been working on the stand which is DIY.
20220316_000800.jpg

How far I've gotten so far and don't bash, I'm no carpenter, I just took my time and measured 1000 times. Still have some nice 3/4 birch to wrap it in and magnetic removable doors with a nice sump floor going in and top for tank to sit on to finish, then paint it all white with a rustic look and matching canopy.
Tank is ordered and being built!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update!
Tank has arrived!!! Ready to be picked up.. Faster than expected by FAR, Planet and Fish Bowl in houston shot me a 6 to 8 week build time. week and half it was ready to be picked up!!
pickup tank.jpg

So when I hit land from work I made way and Here she is!
(yes she was wrapped and strapped.)
MOST STRESSFUL drive of my life.. If the situation would have been available ida had my trailer. Wasnt an option.

tank arrival.jpg

She made it home after many cringes and gritted teeth and stop stops to check. All is well!!! 2 hour drive and she did amazing!

skinned.jpg

Stand got all her framing finished and then skinned and trimmed! NOW FOR PAINT!

stand lights.jpg

POW! Found some little lights to add to it aswell for working on the sump! What a great addition! Lets get this girl in the house!

kid tank.jpg

In the house we go! She will have magnetic doors and a canopy added with magnetic access later! so far so good, Level shows dead level across the tank in all directions!

controller paint.jpg

Added a cubby for electronics and got it painted! now for the long drive of wiring and plumbing!

controller start.jpg

The start to the wiring of the cabinet, MUCH more to add. WHEW No way ill fit all the controllers and electrincs in here alone! Will update with more! Hope you all are enjoying so far!

Equiptment has been stockpiled and so far this is the list achieved.

6 - Mp40s
2 - Dx18 4ft
6 - AI primes
Trigger 39 sapphire
Aquamaxx 280 skimmer
Apex
Apex Trident
Apex dos
2 - eb8 power supplies
200lbs Fiji pink sand and the 120lbs in my tank currently
150 lbs rock plus 100lbs in my current tank
Ai fuge light
Atk top off
Returns are undecided but may run dual jebao 10000 as I've ran the cheap pumps before and they did really well... but not sure.. open to opinions.
Will update with more info! Pics as it goes!
------------------------------------------------------

Few updates with the tank,
Alot has changed and the tank has grown, she has been a massive learning curve but wouldn't trade it for anything.

Here is me adding some new rockwork to finish off the rockwork idea I had in mind.
20220625_092248.jpg

Really love the flatz rock added to the mix just made the tank so much better!

Coraline really taking over the base dry rock, oddly tho the flatz started turning a dark green but was almost like a turf algea. But it soon will become something much more!
20220803_161157.jpg

Things are going well and the tanks aging well. Let's continue.

Now staring to see more coraline coverage as parameters stay stable, nitrates continued to creep up on me here. Running around 0.18 p04 and 70 n03. Attempting to bring it down with no results.
20220923_171515.jpg

Had a few signs of what I thought was dinos so I ordered a scope and tossed a UV into the display. Little did I know the battle was on....

After trying different methods, even one so extreme it basically wiped out 75pct of my coral and my entire biological biome I was ruined.
Pressing down hard to get it under control, dosing silicate and allowing my tank to just grow so filthy I can't stand it. It blew up with cyano and finally after over 6 months of battling and ruining my tank, I came out on top. Had n03 levels over 130 n03 so there was the culprit.

Cheato was added and feeding habits reduced.

20230308_152244.jpg

Still showing signs of cyano and dinos but fading away, got rid of the low par ai 16hds and added 2 reef breeder photon v2s got some serious par now.

20230512_133738.jpg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll find that the AI Prime 16HDs aren't going to cut it on a tank this size (unless it's going to be a FOWLR, but I'm assuming with the Trident it's going to be a mixed reef). Based on the dimensions, you're probably going to need something like 4-6 Hydra 64s or XR30 G5s mounted vertically. And with the 30" depth you may want to look at the HMS or RMS hanging kits for the lights.

I'd also check the glass specs on the tank to ensure the MP40s will work with the thickness (the magnets are rated for up to 3/4").

OP
OP
Kuhmens

Kuhmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll find that the AI Prime 16HDs aren't going to cut it on a tank this size (unless it's going to be a FOWLR, but I'm assuming with the Trident it's going to be a mixed reef). Based on the dimensions, you're probably going to need something like 4-6 Hydra 64s or XR30 G5s mounted vertically. And with the 30" depth you may want to look at the HMS or RMS hanging kits for the lights.

I'd also check the glass specs on the tank to ensure the MP40s will work with the thickness (the magnets are rated for up to 3/4").
Ahh sorry dimensions are.. 96 long 30 deep 24 tall.
Itll have 6 primes basically for supplemental and then the 2 4 foot dx18 t5 figures.
I believes its 3/4 glass. Hopefully they'll work lol
20220219_180056.jpg

Basically this x2 this is on my 4 foot now. I have another setup matching it to go side my side
It's throwing roughly 400 to 430 par up high and 180 on the bed currently.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back