New black ocellaris clownfish added to tank

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I recently was gifted a pair of black ocellaris clownfish which appear to be juveniles they were introduced into my tank last night the only other fish that's in this tank currently is a damselfish. Since they have been in this tank which it hasn't been 24 hours they have straight away to stay in the top right corner of the tank. I fear that the damsel is being aggressive towards them. I was wondering if this is normal behavior and if they'll ever get acclimated on their own to swim throughout the tank. If not I was wondering if it's okay if I try to catch the damsel and place it in a breeder box to allow the clowns to freely wander throughout the tank and become comfortable with the tank without the damsel interfering. Please let me know what you think in any advice you may have would be greatly

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I recently was gifted a pair of black ocellaris clownfish which appear to be juveniles they were introduced into my tank last night the only other fish that's in this tank currently is a damselfish. Since they have been in this tank which it hasn't been 24 hours they have straight away to stay in the top right corner of the tank. I fear that the damsel is being aggressive towards them. I was wondering if this is normal behavior and if they'll ever get acclimated on their own to swim throughout the tank. If not I was wondering if it's okay if I try to catch the damsel and place it in a breeder box to allow the clowns to freely wander throughout the tank and become comfortable with the tank without the damsel interfering. Please let me know what you think in any advice you may have would be greatly

How much larger is the damsel? I honestly (as most others) would never have Damsels in any tank I own because they honestly bully everything in the tank.

Clowns that are larger in size can usually defend their spot, but small juveniles wouldn't stand a chance if the Demsel is much larger.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you will be fine. Mine sleep in the upper left hand corner and hide there occasionally. Damsels are aggressive, but so can clowns be at times. Mine BO is a bully all in his own mind. They are getting used to their new environment and should start swimming around soon.

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much larger is the damsel? I honestly (as most others) would never have Damsels in any tank I own because they honestly bully everything in the tank.

Clowns that are larger in size can usually defend their spot, but small juveniles wouldn't stand a chance if the Demsel is much larger.
It's about 2 inches larger

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like their find are starting to get frayed

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 2 inches larger

In my opinion thats a fair amount larger.

I agree with the other post, its not uncommon for Clownfish to hang out in one spot until they explore a little and find their cozy spot, but a 2" Damsel might be an issue during feeding times and if the Clowns settle on a spot the Damsel likes also.

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Able to post any pics?
Yes...

20181219_101544_001_01.jpg

20181219_101455_002_01.jpg

20181219_101356_021_01.jpg

20181219_101356_004_01.jpg

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I caught him...had to really stress out the tank but I successfully got him! Lol he is now in a breeder box and I won't mess with the tank anymore. I will let everything settle and give you all an update. Will the clowns fins completely heal back to normal?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I caught him...had to really stress out the tank but I successfully got him! Lol he is now in a breeder box and I won't mess with the tank anymore. I will let everything settle and give you all an update. Will the clowns fins completely heal back to normal?

That was quicker than I thought it would take to catch him.

Yes the fins will grow back but it doesn't happen overnight. I honestly would trade that Damsel back to the store and get another fish lol

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was quicker than I thought it would take to catch him.

Yes the fins will grow back but it doesn't happen overnight. I honestly would trade that Damsel back to the store and get another fish lol

I had to move some corals and rocks but yes I got him!!! Okay so if I were to trade him or even give him away...what's another good fish to add to the tank that's not aggressive ? What would you recommend?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I am impressed that you got him too! Great job...
How big is your tank?
Look at Royal Gramma, Chalk Bass, Yellow Watchman Goby, Firefish, Jawfish, Opoosum Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse. Maybe a Coral Beauty Angel?

If you get store credit take your time and pick carefully. Give your clowns time to settle in. They run like $40 each. If you don;t get store credit they will likely just rescue the damsel and call it a wash. I agree with CC13, ditch the damsel.

OP
OP
ashley

ashley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I am impressed that you got him too! Great job...
How big is your tank?
Look at Royal Gramma, Chalk Bass, Yellow Watchman Goby, Firefish, Jawfish, Opoosum Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse. Maybe a Coral Beauty Angel?

If you get store credit take your time and pick carefully. Give your clowns time to settle in. They run like $40 each. If you don;t get store credit they will likely just rescue the damsel and call it a wash. I agree with CC13, ditch the damsel.
It's a 30 gallon with a 15 gallon sump. Ya I'll probably do some research and let them settle in...I'll have to see if I can get store credit or not.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal for clowns to stay in one area and they rest at night at the top corner of the tank. I have 4 clowns in 300 and they all sleep in the corners at top of tank in their own space. My other clowns in different tank also sleep at top of tank at night and swim some during the day. They should be ok.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 30 gallon with a 15 gallon sump. Ya I'll probably do some research and let them settle in...I'll have to see if I can get store credit or not.

Yeah, if their fins are torn they need some help. You are doing good! I also have a small tank. 32 gallon biocube. I am going to back peddle on the coral beauty angel. Your tank is too small for that...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back