New Black Sea Cucumber Red Stuff

Poseidon03

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2019
Messages
818
Reaction score
694
Location
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I recently got a black sea cucumber. I acclimated it with the drip method, and after a day it is now expelling this stuff. I've ready a lot about the toxicity, but I'm not sure if I should pull him now or not. All my SPS and fish seem to be fine.

PXL_20230206_162501880.jpg
PXL_20230206_162456878-01.jpeg
 
I think I might just pull it. I don't want it to nuke my tank. I'm not sure though. Anyone know anything about these guy's anatomies?
 
If it's putting toxins into your tank, your fish will show it first (and they might be the only creatures that show symptoms):
That said, this actually sounds like a pretty textbook case of "cuke nuking" - meaning your cucumber dying and poisoning the tank is almost guaranteed to be the cause. The inverts are likely okay because the toxins weren't present in high enough quantities to kill them. Sea cucumber toxins (called holothurin) are ichthyotoxins, meaning they are mainly toxic to fish. In high enough quantities these toxins will kill inverts and if touched or ingested can cause problems for people too, but they primarily affect fish. Holothurin causes irreversible damage to a fish's gills and nervous system (amongst other things) - this would explain the discolored and puffed out gills you described.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new