New Black Sea Cucumber Red Stuff

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I recently got a black sea cucumber. I acclimated it with the drip method, and after a day it is now expelling this stuff. I've ready a lot about the toxicity, but I'm not sure if I should pull him now or not. All my SPS and fish seem to be fine.

PXL_20230206_162501880.jpg
PXL_20230206_162456878-01.jpeg

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might just pull it. I don't want it to nuke my tank. I'm not sure though. Anyone know anything about these guy's anatomies?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's putting toxins into your tank, your fish will show it first (and they might be the only creatures that show symptoms):
That said, this actually sounds like a pretty textbook case of "cuke nuking" - meaning your cucumber dying and poisoning the tank is almost guaranteed to be the cause. The inverts are likely okay because the toxins weren't present in high enough quantities to kill them. Sea cucumber toxins (called holothurin) are ichthyotoxins, meaning they are mainly toxic to fish. In high enough quantities these toxins will kill inverts and if touched or ingested can cause problems for people too, but they primarily affect fish. Holothurin causes irreversible damage to a fish's gills and nervous system (amongst other things) - this would explain the discolored and puffed out gills you described.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back