New BRS 1.1 Dosers - Noisy - Is this normal?

robertpdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received two BRS 1.1 dosers. Both ran "quiet" when I first turned them on but then changed to a much louder clacking sound after a few minutes. Both also deliver about 2-2.2 mL/min which is not what I expected. If they are consistent then that's fine, but I'm wondering if this is actually the right pump. Either the motor is different or the peristaltic tubing has increased in diameter significantly.

The sound is the same whether or not the pump tubing is installed on the rollers. There's no issue of binding.

I've sent an email to BRS support but wanted to ask any reefers here if this sounds normal? I'm not going to be able to use these if so.

Video link for example:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea mine make that noise too.
I have 4. When they turn on im always like what the heck!!

Also mine output 1.25ml/min which is tolerable.
You could restrict the tubing at the end to achieve less.
Melt and pinch the tip and add a smaller hole then remeasure.

All mine are used though.

OP
OP
robertpdx

robertpdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS support responded and said that is what they sound like. I guess my expectations were too high based on Ryan's video posted years ago. He emphasizes that the doser runs silently at the 2:30 mark.

Their product listing also has silent as a bullet point. Mine both run at about 2.1 mL/min so the gearbox must be different. The motor cover says it's 3W, 120V, 60Hz, 1 RPM. That video is 12 years old so it's reasonable that the product changed. BRS needs to update their info however and remove "silent" from the listing.

I'm more concerned about the pump functioning the way it's supposed to and I like the simple timer setup with a backup battery, so I'm going to keep them. I don't have a cabinet to place them in, so maybe I'll build some kind of hinged box cover lined with some foam.

Fortunately they don't run for very long at a time, and if necessary I can program them so they are not running in the middle of the night.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Kamoer pumps... very quiet and compact.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received two BRS 1.1 dosers. Both ran "quiet" when I first turned them on but then changed to a much louder clacking sound after a few minutes. Both also deliver about 2-2.2 mL/min which is not what I expected. If they are consistent then that's fine, but I'm wondering if this is actually the right pump. Either the motor is different or the peristaltic tubing has increased in diameter significantly.

The sound is the same whether or not the pump tubing is installed on the rollers. There's no issue of binding.

I've sent an email to BRS support but wanted to ask any reefers here if this sounds normal? I'm not going to be able to use these if so.

Video link for example:

Based on the audio from your video, there is something going on with the pump. There are two sounds, one of which is normal. The jackhammering type sound (for lack of a better way to describe) isn't normal. Can you send us a PM with the email on your BRS account or order number for these dosing pumps?

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the audio from your video, there is something going on with the pump. There are two sounds, one of which is normal. The jackhammering type sound (for lack of a better way to describe) isn't normal. Can you send us a PM with the email on your BRS account or order number for these dosing pumps?
This is one of the reasons I love this company. My experience in the hobby would be much tougher without BRS

OP
OP
robertpdx

robertpdx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They stepped up and sent me two replacements however one of them is quiet after running several intervals, the other one developed the same ticking noise after 10 minutes.

Something has happened with the motors that are being supplied on these units. They deliver 2 mL per minute and they are not reliably quiet. Whatever motor they had on those units years ago was solid based on feedback. The motors in mine are Meteor brand model 912UL.

At this point I think it’s a crapshoot for getting a quiet one.

Not the end of the world but it’s frustrating, going to look at other options.

Back