New BTA has unusual white mass/bald spot?

HippoMonstrosity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up a new 13.5G nano tank with a 14000K light and live rock from a friend's established tank. I am still very new to the hobby, but my friend helped my pick out some corals as well as a red BTA. We introduced it at the far end of my tank (SG: 1.025) yesterday where the flow was pretty calm. It did fall off once but it climbed back up on the rock pretty quick. It has good color for the most part but since this morning it has receded pretty far into the rock and we noticed a weird bald/white patch that almost looks like disintegrating tissue. We didn't notice it yesterday and are unsure if we should be worried since the anemone looks well aside from that area. We did some target feeding and some food stuck. It reacted to the hermit crabb and pulled in. In addition it seems to have a good hold on the rock and its mouth is closed. Is this possibly an injury from transport or could it be a disease?

image1.jpeg

Last edited:

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r!
That is his guts/ messentrial filaments coming out.
This tank is not yet mature enough to sustain a nem and it might die in the process of cycling and maturing...can your buddy hold him until.the tank is ready?

OP
OP
HippoMonstrosity

HippoMonstrosity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for confirming that! Unfortunately he cannot and there isn't a large saltwater community in my city to see if anyone could take him. I added some supplements and buffer earlier today and he seems to be doing ok. He's moved a little more and has opened up somewhat. I don't have any fish in my tank at this point so he shouldn't be disturbed. I'm gonna give him a few days and see if there are any changes to him. I don't wanna have to touch or move him unless I have to.

OP
OP
HippoMonstrosity

HippoMonstrosity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my anemone surprised me this morning and moved front and center of my tank. he seems nice and open and his wound looks like it is doing well.

anemone injury 4-29.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appears normal looking. Reduce brightness of lights and add more blue. Moderate water flow and FEED. The white slime is ok as it does go potty too.

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about the bald spot, I'm assuming you're talking about the white tissue on the right side of the anemone? That indeed is a wound, it looks like it has recently split, should be okay though, but lower the lights for sure.

OP
OP
HippoMonstrosity

HippoMonstrosity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I dont have adjustable lights on this tank, but he found a shady hiding spot at the bottom of one of my rocks and seems to be very happy there. For now that will have to do :/ He continues to look healthy and full for the most part and is eating. Cant see his wound, but his color is the brightest it has been since I got him and this is by far the longest he has stayed in place.

HollidayReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take him out and go to your local vet get seapro pills quarantine him and give him the antibiotics

OP
OP
HippoMonstrosity

HippoMonstrosity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. BTA seems to be doing very well. He has finally moved to a more open spot on some rock and is eating well (both small shrimp and larger krill). His wound has healed nicely and I can see new tentacle growth. I introduced some clowns this weekend and they haven't hosted it yet, but hopefully they will soon. I cannot wait for my anemone to fill out. Thank you all for your help and opinions!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, you just need to observe.

OP
OP
HippoMonstrosity

HippoMonstrosity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far. Not as full as I'd hope, but I'm sure in time he'll be beautiful. He sure picked an odd spot, though he seems to love it :)

anemone 1.jpg

anemone 2.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back