New BTA went into the powerhead... help

NaClH20Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added this beautiful BTA to my tank earlier this evening and it immediately planted itself in a crevice of my rock work. Right before bed I went to check on it and it seems to have made it into the very small gaps of my jebao ow-10 powerhead. ‍

The mouth seems to be fine and from what I can tell so far the foot seems okay. The good news is the pump was stopped so it didn’t keep tearing it up. There however is a tear on the outer rim you can see it in the pics.

I added GAC immediately and removed it from the power head carefully.

It is back in the rock and I wanted to check it’s responsiveness. I turned out the lights for 30 minutes. It closed up pretty tight. I then turned the lights back on and it began to open up immediately.

Looking for experienced anemone keepers to chime in. What are the odds of this anemone healing?
Is there anything I can do to increase the odds of survival and shorten healing time?

Should I try to feed this anemone after 1 day? 3 days? A week?

Any help is great appreciated. Here are some images. First is when it was added. Then the pic of it in the PH. Followed by a picture about 10 minutes after it was removed and an image/video of it currently.

58446A85-29D9-4213-AB7D-97122C8D09F0.jpeg
0806B06D-F265-43F4-9649-252851D5AC18.jpeg

FAE00D14-9FCA-40CE-A4E8-6D78A31F52C4.jpeg

23E03F83-DE03-4077-B7CD-3451CA0C2E8F.jpeg
16337FFF-2E81-416B-80AF-15F50330C2F0.jpeg

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Should heal up just fine, just keep an eye on it, if it starts to look like it’s moldy and very mushy, it may be on its way out due to not being able to heal.

OP
OP
NaClH20Reefer

NaClH20Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should heal up just fine, just keep an eye on it, if it starts to look like it’s moldy and very mushy, it may be on its way out due to not being able to heal.
Yep looks ok to me. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it gets light.

Thank you both!! It seems to have moved from the rock and towards the back wall. It’s extremely puffy and tentacles out. Hard to get a good pic the water is still very cloudy and my glass is a little dirty from being in the tank earlier.
18363081-B037-47AF-A631-074EA51B5DF1.png
D2718F8A-1644-484B-85B8-4D7355AC710C.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going to keep it from moving around and getting into the overflow, or a powerhead, or?

You might need to put it in a fish box, or container with holes for water exchange for at least the night?

OP
OP
NaClH20Reefer

NaClH20Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going to keep it from moving around and getting into the overflow, or a powerhead, or?

You might need to put it in a fish box, or container with holes for water exchange for at least the night?

It cannot gain access to the overflow, Ive shut the powerhead off until I get a guard or just increase my return pump flow.

All I have are my fiancé’s gladware containers. So unless highly suggested I’d rather not put holes in them.... she will not be happy with me lol

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It cannot gain access to the overflow, Ive shut the powerhead off until I get a guard or just increase my return pump flow.

All I have are my fiancé’s gladware containers. So unless highly suggested I’d rather not put holes in them.... she will not be happy with me lol
Now is the time to expose her to the reality and dedication required to be married to a reef addict! She may surprise you.
But I can't take any responsibility for the outcome of this experiment. :)

As long as the powerhead is off it should be safe, but anemones do like some current. It brings food in the wild. Gl & best wishes.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
In the future, I would cut out a piece of foam/sponge and affix it around the powerhead to try and persuade it from going back in, I would really keep an eye out those on the green ones, I’ve never seen them do too good or last too long. Usually the red ones are more hardy/susceptible to damage/parameters ect. If it starts to get worse, I would pull it out ASAP and cut my losses.

OP
OP
NaClH20Reefer

NaClH20Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now is the time to expose her to the reality and dedication required to be married to a reef addict! She may surprise you.
But I can't take any responsibility for the outcome of this experiment. :)

As long as the powerhead is off it should be safe, but anemones do like some current. It brings food in the wild. Gl & best wishes.

Haha I’ll try it another time when it’s needed. I have the return nozzles providing some decent flow. This morning it seemed to be opened up some with bubbles tips except the side it’s hurt on.

In the future, I would cut out a piece of foam/sponge and affix it around the powerhead to try and persuade it from going back in, I would really keep an eye out those on the green ones, I’ve never seen them do too good or last too long. Usually the red ones are more hardy/susceptible to damage/parameters ect. If it starts to get worse, I would pull it out ASAP and cut my losses.

We shall see I suppose. I will try to update with a picture later today. It’s open and bubbled up some. It’s the only thing in the tank besides some leftover Zoa’s I didn’t peel off the rock when I moved them into the big tank.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both!! It seems to have moved from the rock and towards the back wall. It’s extremely puffy and tentacles out. Hard to get a good pic the water is still very cloudy and my glass is a little dirty from being in the tank earlier.
18363081-B037-47AF-A631-074EA51B5DF1.png
D2718F8A-1644-484B-85B8-4D7355AC710C.png
This over-inflated posture is common for a damaged anemone. I think you'll be fine, but I would heed the other suggestions here to secure this guy while he heals. Egg crate lighting diffuser and some zip ties will set you back about $15 - make a 5 sided box or cube with a lid and you should be set.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me recently. Unfortunately I lost mine. I since have covered the PH's, but instead of using foam which gets clogged quickly and needs to be cleaned more often. I used these because they don't get clogged while still protecting the nem from getting sliced and diced.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back