New BTA's. 1 doesn't look so good

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received 2 nems from LA. The 1 in the 125 gal looks like it's settling. Foot attached, tentacles waving.

The one I put in my observation tank (40 gal with live rock and a couple leathers, 2 clowns and a batch of new fish), doesn't look so good. It's been flat and limp. After several hours--3 maybe, I aimed some flow on it and it almost blew it off the rock . 1 half floated up. Not a high flow powerhead and not full on. I removed the flow until just some of the tentacles were sort of waving. But most were still limp.

It's looking a tad better but still a lot of limp, shriveled tentacles. A few bubbles maybe forming. I didn't check the foot. Just scooped it and placed it, with a net over it to allow it to settle (until it chooses to move on its own). Should I contact LA on this one? Is it injured or just tee'd off or sick. What if anything should I/could I do to help it.

Tonight, In the 125 tank I slowed all powerhead flow down to 2 and also freq for the night. It looks like that nem might be pulling away from the rock and may take a swim. Maybe I should just use 2 powerheads? Have 3 running. #4 not working <sigh> All powerheads have mesh. Might be settling a bit now.

These first 2 pics are of the one not looking so good and right putting it in tank after acclimating. 2nd pic after adding a bit of flow. Have a rag partially covering light (hydra 26 I think). Lot of limp, thin tentacles but pic 2 shows some improvement
20210324_165918.jpg
20210324_181632.jpg

This pic below is after lights out. Eased up the flow slightly for the night. Next pic is just a few minutes ago

20210324_221744.jpg
20210324_225840.jpg

This pic below is the other nem in the 125. It seems allright. Better than the 1 above. Looks like it is stretching to the left.
20210324_165852.jpg
20210324_234623.jpg
20210324_181558.jpg

Nathancquinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Susan! I understand the stress of adding nems haha I feel for you! Anemones (Especially new ones) can be confusing as heck at times. You said you got them from LA? Shipped anemones are probably by far the most stressed out. Also, when exactly did you add them to the tank? To me both of them just look stressed. IME they tend to get all spaghetti-like in their tentacles, and this can be for tons of reasons. They're probably just getting used to your tank parameters and lighting. In fact they are actually. All anemones must. BTW what are your tank parameters and what kind of lighting do you use? Also, how did you acclimate them?

Some things to look out for:

• Shrinking up and spitting out brown/green goo (Zooxanthellae). This means it's stressed and still getting used to your lights. It could take a couple weeks until it stops). Shrinking may also not be paired with spitting up zooxanthellae, in which case it is simply normal. Healthy anemones deflate and look awful. It's kinda like their way of doing water changes. They do this 21+ hours after you feed them too, and they will spit up whatever they didn't digest. Make sure you have a consistent light schedule that somewhat mimics the sunrise and set.
  • Watch for excessive color loss ( a little is OK for newly introduced nems)
  • Watch it at night. Note inflation and deflation of tentacles. This is normal behavior. Anemones will often expand at night if they are shriveled during the day. It can take about 4 hours for a shriveled "Spaghetti-state" anemone to inflate and open up.
  • Make sure it's mouth is closed. If your nems' mouths are open, it probably means its about to spit up some zooxanthellae within a few minutes.
  • Watch for response to stimuli such as gentle touch. Do the tentacles move?
  • Watch for movement at all.
Here's what I would do. Maintain constant and ideal tank parameters, keep nitrates below 10ppm (really keep it as low as you can without doing too big of water changes all at once). Note the behaviors I mentioned above, and leave the nems alone. Don't put direct flow on them, don't try to feed them, just let them be. Try dimming the lights a bit too and see how they respond. Anemones can be nursed onto higher light intensities, but it needs to be gradually. Maybe every couple days bump up the intensity. Either way it will take some time. Feel free to DM me if you want :)
Cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is a red sea e170-40 gal. hydra 26 light I believe. I'll have to test the tank. Last time i tested it was within bounds. No3 at 5 or less. I don't do PO4 as there is very little sand, and a few rocks. It was just to be an observation. I don't have a doser set up. Guess I might need to do that now. I do have a spare. I ended up having to put in a clown in here to save his little life (6 mo in my overflow as the other pair chased him out of the tank). So now it is home to him and a little clown I just got. Reason I got the BTA. I'll test tomorrow.

Mouth is not open. I acclimated them almost 2 hours from the time i opened the box. Not drip but adding small amts of water every 5 min. Removing some after a while and continued adding tank water

I had a washcloth over the screen it the nem was not in full light but more defused. Same with the one in the other tank. Partly blocked light.

I have ramp up and down with the red sea, and a blue on for an hour, then white for the 125 (viperspectre 70 blue, 10 or 12 white I think) I'll keep something above them. I hate to mess with lighting for the other corals.

They were added to the tank about 5 pm today

Should I try to feed them tomorrow? Or wait. I added vitamins to the food I feed the fish in hopes that might help. Also a couple drops of garlic.
Thanks. Crossing my fingers. I really want these guys!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looked at the 1. Didn't like the flashlight so drew itself up. I was able to see that the foot is now attached so that is good. It is looking somewhat better. Off to bed and hoping

Nathancquinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is a red sea e170-40 gal. hydra 26 light I believe. I'll have to test the tank. Last time i tested it was within bounds. No3 at 5 or less. I don't do PO4 as there is very little sand, and a few rocks. It was just to be an observation. I don't have a doser set up. Guess I might need to do that now. I do have a spare. I ended up having to put in a clown in here to save his little life (6 mo in my overflow as the other pair chased him out of the tank). So now it is home to him and a little clown I just got. Reason I got the BTA. I'll test tomorrow.

Mouth is not open. I acclimated them almost 2 hours from the time i opened the box. Not drip but adding small amts of water every 5 min. Removing some after a while and continued adding tank water

I had a washcloth over the screen it the nem was not in full light but more defused. Same with the one in the other tank. Partly blocked light.

I have ramp up and down with the red sea, and a blue on for an hour, then white for the 125 (viperspectre 70 blue, 10 or 12 white I think) I'll keep something above them. I hate to mess with lighting for the other corals.

They were added to the tank about 5 pm today

Should I try to feed them tomorrow? Or wait. I added vitamins to the food I feed the fish in hopes that might help. Also a couple drops of garlic.
Thanks. Crossing my fingers. I really want these guys!
Okay sounds like you got some great lighting! Nitrates are great too! IMO Phosphate doesn't seem to be that big of a deal from what I can see in your tank. No need to test for it I don't think. This leads me to believe that your little guys are OK and are just adjusting to the light. It'll take some time probably more than a week, but don't panic. Also, I would not feed them for now. Wait until they are more inflated and open and most importantly adjusted. IME it's best to let them fully acclimate and adjust before you even consider feeding them. When you DO decide to feed them (once again I'd wait a while), watch and see if the food sticks to the tentacles. If it does, that's a good sign! Stressed anemones will often not be very sticky IME. Also observe the neural response of the tentacles when food comes in contact. Happy nems will act quickly. Remember that it's OK to not feed your nems for up to a few weeks. Honestly some don't need much feeding at all! So keep those fingers crossed, let them be, and keep watching them! Keep us posted :)

Nathancquinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looked at the 1. Didn't like the flashlight so drew itself up. I was able to see that the foot is now attached so that is good. It is looking somewhat better. Off to bed and hoping
The fact that it responded to the light like that is a promising sign!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
waiting for lights to come on. that poor bta looks awful this morning! Feel like a mom with a sick baby again lol's.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back