New Build 55gal corner tank- sump issues- please help!

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

It's been several years and two kids since I was in the saltwater game, but I decided to come back as I miss it and I think my kids will really enjoy it too. I used to run AIO tanks because of the plumbing simplicity, but with the 55 gal corner there were no easy/ elegant options, so I decided to go with a sump. I bought the tank slightly used, but in great condition. It has a rear durso overflow and a Aqueon ProFlex Model 1 sump, which I modified slightly to fit a Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS.

Of course, I am having issues getting everything set-up where I feel confident it won't flood the hardwood floors in our new house. There are two issues I could use some advice on pertaining to the overflow and sump:

1) I am getting a tremendous amount of noise, bubbles and a slight leak from my down tubing to the sump. It is currently made of flexhose that I cut one of the slip joint ends off of because it was cracked, but now I can't get a tight seal on the barb fitting from the bulkhead. The challenge is the sump has a unique slip fit adapter that I need to connect to. Here's a pic of everything disassembled so you can see what I am working with. Any ideas?

20220512_142733.jpg

2) There are no leaks in the tank and it is currently full of water, with nothing leaking into the empty overflow section. HOWEVER, when the overflow section is full of water, it has a slow leak down into the sump. When the tank is running, it isn't an issue at all, but when the power is off (to mimic our occasional power outages) it fully drains down over the course of a few hours. Should I be concerned about this at all? I know know if my I can't figure out where it is leaking down, but my durso is just a slip fit, not threaded and not glued. Not sure what the return is and I don't want to mess with it to find out, as I'm concerned I may cause the bulkhead to leak.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. A gate valve on the overflow would help you adjust your return flow and help with the noise, bubbles, etc.
2. Not sure I have any helpful suggestions, but if you post some pictures of your overflow and where you suspect the leak is some sharp reefer might be able to help.

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. A gate valve on the overflow would help you adjust your return flow and help with the noise, bubbles, etc.
2. Not sure I have any helpful suggestions, but if you post some pictures of your overflow and where you suspect the leak is some sharp reefer might be able to help.
So fortunately it is an adjustable pump, so Im going to just turn it down a bit and see if that helps. I'm also going to try to move to 1 1/4" ID vinyl tubing as my down tubing. Of course, the sump has to hook into a 1" threaded PVC fitting, so i have to try and find a 1 1/4" barb to 1" female threaded elbow :/

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to rework things and unfortuately I couldn't get 1 1/4" vinyl tubing onto the bulkhead barb because there isn't enough clearance between the side of the barb and the internal edge of the stand. Tried 1 1/14 pond tubing and although it fit, it was too loose on the bulkhead barb, but snug on the elbow barb going into the sump. SOOOOO...Im back to square one.

I looked again at my pump and it is an EHEIM Compacton 2100. Even at the lowest setting, it is still 370 GPH and 565 GPH at the highest. For a FOWLR is this oversized?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back