New build, have some equipment questions

Jackd1023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little backstory, had a 125 reef 10 plus years ago, I struggled with it, went to a 60 cube, flourished for a awhile then crashed, daughter kept my clowns in a bio cube for the past 8 years.
Time has come to try again, just ordered a WaterBox 65 g with sump, radion 30 light, Red Sea filter roller, reef octopus 110sss (one of remnants from old system). Mp10, Vortech return pump. Have a tunze ATO with 5gal reservoir.
Need wants desires , looking for a controller, very confused on what to get or monitor, thinking about an algae reactor, I keep hearing dosing please let me know what whys and how’s. The goal is to have a nice showpiece, sps, lps, and softies,
Before I get the tank delivered, I want to have as much as possible on hand to organize wires, set up and board.
Certainly up to suggestions, the old lady is ocd as hell, so I really would like to be successful.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into dosing All For Reef. Would be simple for that size of tank and would require only 1 thing to dose.

I personally wouldn’t do an Algae reactor until I felt I actually needed it as the tank progressed. Personally I’d try to just lower the amount of nutrients going into the tank.

I know it’s exciting and fun to plan ahead as much as possible, but I am also a fan of keeping things as simple as possible and only getting things if/when you actually need it.

I personally feel you can do more harm than good (and spend tons of $ in the process) if you buy/turn things on before you are sure you even need it in the first place.

Just my 2 cents. Sounds like a really fun and cool build! Happy reefing :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back