New Build with old majano infested rock?

SteveG66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm getting overwhelmed and hope I can get some help or direction, please!!

My previous tank, 33 gal Solana Current bought used and running, decided it was time for me to upgrade onto something bigger by springing a leak. I chose a 47 g Planet Aquarium Tideline AIO as it's replacement.

I was able to save the inhabitants from the old tank: 2 clowns, 1 cardinal, and one pistol shrimp plus the rock. I chose to discard the old sand with the old tank. I moved the livestock and rock into a 20 gal aquarium I had with a remora protein skimmer, heater, and the light. I've since added a canister filter to add some filtration.

The rock is covered with majanos and I'm really trying to keep them out of the new tank. I took a few pieces of the rock and allowed to air dry and did a soak in bleach for a bit. I've since soaked in RODI (0 ppms) water and now air drying which I'll put into the new tank.

The new tank so far has: saltwater with 1.026 salinity, 2 bags of Carib Arag alive sand, and 9 ml of Microbater QuickCyl, I'm on day 3 and the ammonia and nitrites have remained constant.

Can I put in the dried rock now? I assume it's safe for that rock. When can I put in the rock that's in the current tank? How can I get rid of the majano's that I have now and keep out of the new tank? Theres too much to treat, I've tried, so I want to nuke it....but I've got 3 small bubble tip anemones that I'd like to save.

Any suggestions would be great, the easier/safer the better!!

Thank you in advance for the help to a newish reefer,
SteveG

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put the dried rock now as long as you rinsed it well and let it dry out. If any concerns BRS and Amazon sell chlorine test strips for ease of mind.

The other rock with Majano’s, you could pull the BTA’s off, and then just let the rock dry in the sun. That will kill all the pests. Or you could get some Frank’s F-Aiptasia and try to cover them. Not sure how big they are, but that stuff works great. Smother’s them.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back