New Cadlight 70G build out help needed!!

Chadschropp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

So I’m in the process of building out a Cadlight 70G that I bought from someone. I need help on designing the Sump and Protein Skimmer. Leaning towards a Bashsea Sump, but not set on it. Could you guys give me some input on what you would do with this size tank? Much appreciated!!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello first of all I love the Cadlights 70 tank, it is gorgeous. The first thing you need to do is figure out what size sump will fit in the stand. Plus will it fit once you buy it, does it fit through the doors? center brace in the way? Sometimes a old box with a similar shape would help.
Second, do you like socks, Or a filter floss?
Do you want everything ie skimmers reactors in the same chamber, different chambers?
Pay attention to the return section some sump builders skimp on that end to make the sump look bigger and now return pumps do not fit, there is not enough water volume for the return.
Do you want a big fuge?
Euro brace sumps minus useable space in the sump.
I have 4 name brand sumps and they are all different from each other.

OP
OP
Chadschropp

Chadschropp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello first of all I love the Cadlights 70 tank, it is gorgeous. The first thing you need to do is figure out what size sump will fit in the stand. Plus will it fit once you buy it, does it fit through the doors? center brace in the way? Sometimes a old box with a similar shape would help.
Second, do you like socks, Or a filter floss?
Do you want everything ie skimmers reactors in the same chamber, different chambers?
Pay attention to the return section some sump builders skimp on that end to make the sump look bigger and now return pumps do not fit, there is not enough water volume for the return.
Do you want a big fuge?
Euro brace sumps minus useable space in the sump.
I have 4 name brand sumps and they are all different from each other.
Thanks for the reply!! I will not have a center brace, so it will be an open space. Was thinking of a 30” or 24” Sump. So I’m guessing a pretty good size on the sump. I’m not sure about the sock or floss. I’ve only used socks in the past. Benefits of floss, are they better?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people are going away from socks, maintenance-heavy, filter floss is easy and cheap, no rinsing just dumping. Check out Fiji sumps they give you the option to do either whenever you like. Some people are starting to use Filter Rollers inside their sumps now. Their a big difference between a 24" sump and a 30, so shot for a 30, that was my first mistake on my first sump. Stands suck up lots of useable sump space, that is why it is better to get a bigger stand than what the tank needs.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford a Clarisea rollermat, I'd go for that over traditional filter socks or floss. But if you don't want to do that, I definitely would recommend a sump that has an easily accessible tray for 100 micron mesh filter socks--two of them if you can swing it. They're super easy to clean (just rinse under tap water for a minute) and they can make your CadLights display look incredibly clear, all the time. No cutting-to-size filter floss, chucking it in the trash, etc.

Definitely don't go with the CadLights protein skimmer. I had one of those with my CadLights 70, and it was a big pain in the butt. Always overflowing. Whatever protein skimmer you get, consider getting an Auto Aqua Smart Skimmer Security SSS-100 sensor--you attach it via a magnet to the top of your skimmer cup. Then, whenever the water level in your skimmer cup reaches that point, it turns off your skimmer and sounds an alarm. Best way to avoid a skimmer disaster, spewing gunk all over your sump and leaking waste back into the tank.

OP
OP
Chadschropp

Chadschropp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford a Clarisea rollermat, I'd go for that over traditional filter socks or floss. But if you don't want to do that, I definitely would recommend a sump that has an easily accessible tray for 100 micron mesh filter socks--two of them if you can swing it. They're super easy to clean (just rinse under tap water for a minute) and they can make your CadLights display look incredibly clear, all the time. No cutting-to-size filter floss, chucking it in the trash, etc.

Definitely don't go with the CadLights protein skimmer. I had one of those with my CadLights 70, and it was a big pain in the butt. Always overflowing. Whatever protein skimmer you get, consider getting an Auto Aqua Smart Skimmer Security SSS-100 sensor--you attach it via a magnet to the top of your skimmer cup. Then, whenever the water level in your skimmer cup reaches that point, it turns off your skimmer and sounds an alarm. Best way to avoid a skimmer disaster, spewing gunk all over your sump and leaking waste back into the tank.
Thanks!!! I’m thinking of going with a Nyos 120 protein skimmer and a Bashsea 30” Sump. Thoughts???

OP
OP
Chadschropp

Chadschropp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people are going away from socks, maintenance-heavy, filter floss is easy and cheap, no rinsing just dumping. Check out Fiji sumps they give you the option to do either whenever you like. Some people are starting to use Filter Rollers inside their sumps now. Their a big difference between a 24" sump and a 30, so shot for a 30, that was my first mistake on my first sump. Stands suck up lots of useable sump space, that is why it is better to get a bigger stand than what the tank needs.
Definitely gonna go with a 30” Sump!! Thanks for the advice!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both good choices, I have a 15" cube Bashea sump, which model are you looking at?

Back