New clean up crew

ua hua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished cycling my tank last week and ordered a CUC from Reef Cleaners. I have a IM Nuvo 10 but just ordered the one for a 5.5 gal and will add more if needed. I also added 8 dwarf planaxis snails. The snails included 3 nerites, 5 dwarf Ceriths, 2 nassarius vibex and 4 Florida ceriths. So far the only snails I see any life from is the Nerites and 1 of the Nassarius. The others have been laying on the bottom in the same place as when I put them in the tank. According to what I have read the snails may go dormant during shipping and could take a few days to come around especially the ceriths. I pulled the other Nassarius out to smell it and see if it smelled like it was dead and by no means did it smell putrid but I guess I don’t know what a dead snail smells like either. How long should I wait before I consider this shipment a loss?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most snails will become active when they smell food. Do you have anything for them to eat?

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention how long ago you added them?

I've found Florida Ceriths to be the most likely to play dead for awhile(days sometimes). Usually the Nassarius and nerites start going within minutes or hours at most. If they are truly dead it won't take long for them to smell when you check them(a dead snail smells horrible). I usually like to place the snails in a small kitchen saucer and then place it in the tank. That way I can tell who left for sure as sometimes nassarius and both types of cerith will just lay there on top of the sand like they have died and they are just chilling waiting for lights out or something.

OP
OP
ua hua

ua hua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most snails will become active when they smell food. Do you have anything for them to eat?
The rock is covered in diatoms right now and the nerites are crawling all over it as is the 1 nassarius. Should I put some kind of food in the tank?

OP
OP
ua hua

ua hua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them in on Friday morning. The nerites started roaming about right away and the 1 nassarius didn’t move until Saturday afternoon. Nothing from the ceriths and the planaxis. I pulled some of them out of the tank and they don’t have a foul smell but the planaxis are tiny like the size of larger grain sand so I don’t know how much smell they would give off.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back