New cleaner shrimp sucked into filter overflow

coloradoreefer94

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 13, 2025
Messages
44
Reaction score
15
Location
Longmont, Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my LFS and got some CUC for my Nano tank. One of the animals I got was a small 1" cleaner shrimp for $35. I acclimated it for about 30 minutes both temperature and drip and then set it free. It seemed to be active for about an hour around the tank and then found a crevice in the rocks to hide later on. I thought nothing of it until about after 3 days there was no visible sign of it. (I am using an IM Nuvo 20 AIO by the way) I went to change my filter sock and noticed the shrimp has been sucked through the over flow and was in the sock. I literally had to cut the sock to get him out. I put it back in the tank and it was clearly distressed. Barely moving it eventually floated into the water column and was sucked into my powerhead intake and I had to quickly remove it. By that point I thought it was probably going to die. It then sat on the sandbed barely moving anything except its antennas. I turned the pumps and light off hoping to let it rest and regain strength. An hour later I found my nassarius snail had attached itself and was probably eating it. I removed the shrimp and it had died:(

Question is, how can I prevent this from happening again with the filter overflow and the powerhead issue? Is this a common occurrence for small inverts?
Do LFS usually help in this type of situation or did I just lose $35?
 
I have the IM Lagoon 25, how did that shrimp make it through the over flow grill??? Even at 1” I feel it should not be that small. The only thing that you could do is attach a piece of screen temporary. Im assuming there is plenty of rock work? Why was he messing that far up the back side of the tank is interesting. My three cleaner shrimp never leave the sand bed or rocks. They are glued to them haha. Unless it’s feeding time.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new