New Clownfish Acting Strange

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had these two clownfish for about a week now, and they were acting pretty normal up until now. Both were eating fine and doing well, swimming actively and everything.

The smaller clownfish is still acting normal. However, the slightly bigger one has acted a little strange, and it started today. She is mainly swimming under this rock and not moving too too much. Every now and again she’ll swim outside this zone but for most the day today she’s stayed in that same spot.

The smaller clown has mostly swimming above her as well, I’m not sure if this is an indication of anything.

I also just tried feeding them. The smaller one came and ate right away, while the larger one didn’t move out under the rocks too much. She only ate one pellet I’m sure. Her breathing is also a little bit faster than normal, but sometimes it returns back to normal.

I haven’t seen any type of aggression between the two either. I do not believe the water is the problem, because it would be affecting both fish, and I know for sure my tank is cycled. Ammonia levels are at 0, and beneficial bacteria is present.

I’m sorry this was a little lengthy, but I hope some help arrives soon, if it’s anything to worry about. I’m not sure how to attach a video.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week is still relatively early. I have a wrasse that's still in hiding going into the third week... Some fish are just going to be shy from the outset. If the clownfish is still eating that's a good sign. I'd check your parameters and keep observing for a few more days.

I have a pair of clownfish that will not leave their anemone if their lives depend on it, which means they stay in this small cave nearly 23/7. So it's entirely possible the one clownfish is presently content where it is.

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the spot that the clown has decided to host. Once they get comfortable and find a spot they like if they don't have a coral to host they will host a power head or a certain rock a place they know is their little turf. My female host a rock in the corner of my tank slowly sitting in place most of the day she swims around now and again but if you sure your water parameters are good than you shouldn't have to worry. Just keep an eye on them

OP
OP
JtheFishMan

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week is still relatively early. I have a wrasse that's still in hiding going into the third week... Some fish are just going to be shy from the outset. If the clownfish is still eating that's a good sign. I'd check your parameters and keep observing for a few more days.

I have a pair of clownfish that will not leave their anemone if their lives depend on it, which means they stay in this small cave nearly 23/7. So it's entirely possible the one clownfish is presently content where it is.
I definitely agree, my other pair of clowns that I had a year ago were very very timid, took them almost a month for them to explode without getting startled.

OP
OP
JtheFishMan

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the spot that the clown has decided to host. Once they get comfortable and find a spot they like if they don't have a coral to host they will host a power head or a certain rock a place they know is their little turf. My female host a rock in the corner of my tank slowly sitting in place most of the day she swims around now and again but if you sure your water parameters are good than you shouldn't have to worry. Just keep an eye on them
This was my original thought, maybe they are hosting this specific rock. I sure hope this is the case.

OP
OP
JtheFishMan

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

The bigger clownfish doesn’t seem interested In food now, and is still hanging under the rock with semi heavy breathing. The smaller one continues to act normal, and continues to swim very close and above the rock the bigger one is under.

The bigger one seems capable to swimming normally instead of sitting on the ground likes she’s been doing for the past couple of days. She swam to the usual sleeping spot they stay at night, and she sometimes darts out from under the rock like a normal clownfish, but slowly returns back to the rock.

Any more thoughts? In the picture, the one circled in blue is the bigger clownfish, and the smaller one is above

Attachments

• 9AF46C73-5DC9-4711-B1F2-D15DC965F866.jpeg
    9AF46C73-5DC9-4711-B1F2-D15DC965F866.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 31

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clownfish are one of the hardiest fish in the hobby and the weirdest too thus the name clownfish! So if they don’t have obvious signs and symptoms of disease and recently introduced they are fine lol.

OP
OP
JtheFishMan

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are one of the hardiest fish in the hobby and the weirdest too thus the name clownfish! So if they don’t have obvious signs and symptoms of disease and recently introduced they are fine lol.
I definitely agree. The only thing I’m really worried about is her breathing. Why do you think she’s breathing hard?

The water quality is good, but I’m doing a water change tomorrow. I have an air stone, so I know it’s not the oxygen level.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I definitely agree. The only thing I’m really worried about is her breathing. Why do you think she’s breathing hard?

The water quality is good, but I’m doing a water change tomorrow. I have an air stone, so I know it’s not the oxygen level.
Without a video or better photo I can’t tell you more. It may be as simple as adding more flow to get more oxygen in the water. But I will say if they are breathing heavily and hiding it may be a sign of ick or another disease when a fish is moved they get stressed and disease may flare up. The same thing happened to my damsel after I accidentally introduced disease into my tank she hid and was breathing heavily so I quarantined and treated her with copper and now she’s all good. I recommend you get a wave pump as it oxygenates the water more and creates flow. And when in doubt quarantine before it gets to the main tank. Here’s some more info on quarantining, treating, and looking for diseases. Can you get a closer photo? Is there any visible spots or markings on her? https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.199/

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How did this end up? Did the water change help? I'm worried that the fish had the start of a systemic gill infection, likely Amyloodinium (velvet) or less likely flukes. This can infect the second fish as well.

Rapid breathing and not eating in fish are very serious signs and the fish generally die in a few days if the issue isn't resolved....

Jay

OP
OP
JtheFishMan

JtheFishMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this end up? Did the water change help? I'm worried that the fish had the start of a systemic gill infection, likely Amyloodinium (velvet) or less likely flukes. This can infect the second fish as well.

Rapid breathing and not eating in fish are very serious signs and the fish generally die in a few days if the issue isn't resolved....

Jay

I have her in quarantine right now, dosed it with Coppersafe. She doesn’t seem to be getting any better or worse.

Its been about two weeks now with no changes. Thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have her in quarantine right now, dosed it with Coppersafe. She doesn’t seem to be getting any better or worse.

Its been about two weeks now with no changes. Thoughts?

How long has it been in a full dose of Coppersafe?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks now.
That pretty much rules out a protozoan infection….you might consider treating with prazipro for gill flukes…two treatments with good aeration, 8 or 9 days apart.
Jay

Back