New Clownfish feeding issue

StargazingOrion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! First post on reef2reef, and I'm posting this here because I'm a bit concerned for my new clowns. I'm new to the hobby and set up a tank and let it finish a cycle, ensured ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels were low and safe, and introduced 2 ocellaris clowns into the environment.

I've had them for around 5 days and am I a little concerned about their feeding. I feed them LRS reef frenzy nano twice a day and thaw it completely, but when I feed them, around 9/10 times they take a bite of the food, then immediately spit it out again, they are obviously hungry because they go for the food immediately and anticipate their feeding so I don't think it's a lack of appetite. I was reading around and some people said it was a stress behavior- however its also been said that they should be over it by now and I'm very concerned for them. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to help them out?

Should I just wait for them to adjust more to their environment or is this a sign of something more concerning? I've checked them for ich and haven't seen any signs or anything like that either.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know how frustrating and stressful that can be! Have you tried different types of food including pellets? Is there a way to find out what they were eating before you got them? Is the tank in a high traffic area? Is there any other behaviors by the clownfish that you find unusual?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StargazingOrion

StargazingOrion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how frustrating and stressful that can be! Have you tried different types of food including pellets? Is there a way to find out what they were eating before you got them? Is the tank in a high traffic area? Is there any other behaviors by the clownfish that you find unusual?
Yes I have tried pellets and they do the same thing... and the store I got them from was also using LRS reef frenzy (just not nano).

It could be the high traffic area, the fish are in the living room as it's the only room without an immense amount of sunlight (my home has a LOT of windows).

Upvote 0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I have tried pellets and they do the same thing... and the store I got them from was also using LRS reef frenzy (just not nano).

It could be the high traffic area, the fish are in the living room as it's the only room without an immense amount of sunlight (my home has a LOT of windows).
Sometimes it is about providing a sense of security for the fish, however I expect that when they are hungry enough they will eat. You could temporarily tape paper to three side of the tank to limit the movement, look for ways to limit startling the fish, and lower any bright lights in the area (probably overkill, but brainstorming ways to help them feel more secure).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StargazingOrion

StargazingOrion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it is about providing a sense of security for the fish, however I expect that when they are hungry enough they will eat. You could temporarily tape paper to three side of the tank to limit the movement, look for ways to limit startling the fish, and lower any bright lights in the area (probably overkill, but brainstorming ways to help them feel more secure).
Thank you so much for the advice!! I spoke to one of my friends who's been caring for clowns for a few years and she's not had this happen before so it was really concerning me.

I'll tape some black construction paper to the sides of the aquarium and limit the amount of light on them. Hopefully they will relax soon and eat regularly.

I'll continue to feed them as normal to try and get them to eat more regularly.

Upvote 0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't say that it is common, but I have had it happen. FWIW, some people will suggest turning the lights off in the tank, but I have have found that the fish seem to be more aware of the surroundings in the room if the lights are brighter around the tank than in the tank. Watch the fish and they will usually let you know when they are more or less comfortable.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back