New clownfish not eating

JoTaDe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new pair of clowns and a yellowtail damsel in my 13.5g tank, they were added a little more than a day ago. After trying to feed them today both the damsel and 1 clownfish ate, the other one didn't. I tried putting food (flakes) exactly where he is since he is just on a corner on the tank swimming and the other fish ate it. The clown seems to be uninterested in the food, could he still be scared since he is new to the tank?, or maybe flake food was not a good choice?. As a side note I noticed the fish is swimming a little odd but cant explain why, this is probably me overthinking it so I'm not sure. Is it a good idea to leave it without eating? They were from LA so were shipped Monday and arrived Tuesday. Thanks in advance

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to try other types of food, pellets, or frozen foods. The more variety the better.

They could also just not be adjusted yet, one or two days is normal. If its not eating by tomorrow or Friday at latest, then I would worry.

OP
OP
J

JoTaDe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add parameters:
Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are 0.
Ph 8.1
Alkalinity 6.7.
Temp 75
Sorry

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would suggest to try other types of food, pellets, or frozen foods. The more variety the better.

They could also just not be adjusted yet, one or two days is normal. If its not eating by tomorrow or Friday at latest, then I would worry.
Well said :) Try a variety and give them time

OP
OP
J

JoTaDe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok im going to see if I can order some pellets for tomorrow, if its not eating then Friday I try live food. Thank you so much !

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What are you using to test alkalinity btw? That does seem a bit low

OP
OP
J

JoTaDe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An aquarium test strip, it is 6.7 dkh ( that may be a bit off since I converted it from mg/l which is between 80-120. I cant distinguish the color)

OP
OP
J

JoTaDe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am going to add the spare heater I used for my last freshwater tank. What temperature you suggest? the site I checked said the temperature for clowns are between 72-78 so I assumed I was ight without the heater

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
you might also want to check you temp, it is on the colder side of 'tropical'.
Good catch as well. I try to keep my tank as close to 78 as possible with as little variation as possible

OP
OP
J

JoTaDe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to do a little bit of a quick update, that fish sadly passed away during the night. No idea of the reason, the other fish seem to be doing good and eating great

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just to do a little bit of a quick update, that fish sadly passed away during the night. No idea of the reason, the other fish seem to be doing good and eating great
So sorry to hear..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back