New Copperband!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Just wanted to post and talk a little about my new little copperband and the journey. Soooooo here goes nothing. Ive always wanted a copperband but knew their rep and how fussy to feed and their difficulty but a challenge is half the battle right?

I made an innocent trip to my LFS for a food restock and of course there is a big flyer on the wall with a sale on copperbands......of course. It was later in the day and they only had one left so I went and checked out the little guy, about 2.5 inches across total length. I asked the usual questions, it had been there three weeks. Was only feeding on live black worms, I asked them to feed it and it surely ate the black worms like crazy. It looked interested in frozen mysis but never ate any at the LFS.

Being the king of bad decisions I asked my other half who was there and of course she rolled her eyes and said fine, "youre gonna do it anyway".

So I took the little guy home, drip acclimated over 3 hours, just to be sure. Added to QT and let him get accustomed to the tank for several hours.
1st attempt to feed was mysis mixed with live black worms. Ate the worms, attempted mysis but spit out.

2nd attempt was live black worms and frozen bloodworms. Ate all of it, made no difference.

3rd attempt frozen blood worms and mysis. Finally ate some frozen mysis and all the bloodworms of course.

4th attempt. Angel and butterfly frozen food only. Didnt go nuts by any means, but did eat a decent portion of it surprisingly.

I did this in different combinations over my 3 week qt. Did very well no issues besides being fussy at times around the food of course.

After the qt period I added the cbb to the display tank, 1st attempt at feeding was more of a regression. Angel and butterfly frozen and TDO pellets. I believe this is due to the other fish and being generally nervous of the new environment.

After the first few days everything has been going better than I could imagine. I actually am thinking the feeding response has gotten better than ever due to other fish eating around and enticing it to eat as much as it can as fast as possible. So far it has eaten at least a respectable portion of any frozen I have put in and LOVES a clam on the half shell wedged into my live rock.

Sorry this post was so long but it was hard to not tell you all about my excitement surrounding one of my favorite fish!
Thanks for listening and happy reefing!!!!!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to hear! I just got a CBB two weeks ago and it’s still a little picky lol it eats mysis that falls on the rocks / inside crevices but not yet the water column. I’ve tried scallops , clam on half shell, blood worms , mysis , ect it prefers the mysis . I try to stick it in the dead clam shell

Attachments

• 4D447BBF-FFED-48C4-BBCE-E0628111616A.jpeg
    4D447BBF-FFED-48C4-BBCE-E0628111616A.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Bucs20fan

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish! I agree they are definitely preferential to food that falls on the rocks and in crevices. I should also add, that I was doing a pre-emptive strike against a small aiptasia outbreak, and.....that little cbb decimated every single one. I cant find one period now. And it did so in like 48 hours lol.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish! I agree they are definitely preferential to food that falls on the rocks and in crevices. I should also add, that I was doing a pre-emptive strike against a small aiptasia outbreak, and.....that little cbb decimated every single one. I cant find one period now. And it did so in like 48 hours lol.
Jealous man! I’ve got aptasia and I haven’t seen it eat one yet maybe they are too big lol it’s eating something off the rocks tho always picking. CBB is also my favorite fish

OP
OP
Bucs20fan

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jealous man! I’ve got aptasia and I haven’t seen it eat one yet maybe they are too big lol it’s eating something off the rocks tho always picking. CBB is also my favorite fish
For me it was a side effect of having the cbb, I was doing fine using kalk paste. I will say most of mine were small. Like less than a cm in total length, aside from the largest one that was probably 2cm tall. My cbb is much smaller than yours as well and stupid curious. I mean this dang fish wants to see EVERY nook and cranny like its an addiction.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I agree it’s inspecting the rock all day , feather dusters have been destroyed. Hoping it moves to aptasia sometime got a couple for it , aptasia on top of rock , might mix garlic with blood worms tonight to see if it’ll eat

Attachments

• A8CB14DE-C4B8-4F27-A0ED-B8B512A8E8BE.jpeg
    A8CB14DE-C4B8-4F27-A0ED-B8B512A8E8BE.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
Bucs20fan

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also noticed, at least with mine, That its all about worms or what looks worm like. So it wouldnt really eat mysis in an area with lower flow, But if the mysis hit a high flow and got all tossed in the water like a worm then it was game on. Also, im sure it will take to the aiptasia in time. Ive read alot about cbb's and it seems they eat it more consitently than even filefish in some cases.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Just wanted to post and talk a little about my new little copperband and the journey. Soooooo here goes nothing. Ive always wanted a copperband but knew their rep and how fussy to feed and their difficulty but a challenge is half the battle right?

I made an innocent trip to my LFS for a food restock and of course there is a big flyer on the wall with a sale on copperbands......of course. It was later in the day and they only had one left so I went and checked out the little guy, about 2.5 inches across total length. I asked the usual questions, it had been there three weeks. Was only feeding on live black worms, I asked them to feed it and it surely ate the black worms like crazy. It looked interested in frozen mysis but never ate any at the LFS.

Being the king of bad decisions I asked my other half who was there and of course she rolled her eyes and said fine, "youre gonna do it anyway".

So I took the little guy home, drip acclimated over 3 hours, just to be sure. Added to QT and let him get accustomed to the tank for several hours.
1st attempt to feed was mysis mixed with live black worms. Ate the worms, attempted mysis but spit out.

2nd attempt was live black worms and frozen bloodworms. Ate all of it, made no difference.

3rd attempt frozen blood worms and mysis. Finally ate some frozen mysis and all the bloodworms of course.

4th attempt. Angel and butterfly frozen food only. Didnt go nuts by any means, but did eat a decent portion of it surprisingly.

I did this in different combinations over my 3 week qt. Did very well no issues besides being fussy at times around the food of course.

After the qt period I added the cbb to the display tank, 1st attempt at feeding was more of a regression. Angel and butterfly frozen and TDO pellets. I believe this is due to the other fish and being generally nervous of the new environment.

After the first few days everything has been going better than I could imagine. I actually am thinking the feeding response has gotten better than ever due to other fish eating around and enticing it to eat as much as it can as fast as possible. So far it has eaten at least a respectable portion of any frozen I have put in and LOVES a clam on the half shell wedged into my live rock.

Sorry this post was so long but it was hard to not tell you all about my excitement surrounding one of my favorite fish!
Thanks for listening and happy reefing!!!!!
Tried one, once it ran out of Aiptasia it ate my LPS corals. Hope yours is better behaved :)

DavidsAquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Such an amazing fish,I used to have one years ago and I got him eating clam on a half shell,It's already opened up and you can rubberband it to a piece of rock,They absolutely love them! After that he started to eat other foods,I actually have a video showing it eating one if you want a visual DavidsAquariums Copperband search on YouTube should take ya right to it.

OP
OP
Bucs20fan

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good on the zoas no nipping or anything. But it is definitely always on the hunt for food.

Back