new coral frags plug

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it common practice to remove the new coral from the plug? or just glue the coral with the plug directly onto the rock? - I have been cutting the plug down flat and then placing on rock - but not sure if instead I should be removing the coral from the plug entirely
thx

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people off to remove them just for the aesthetic look of it or if there is any Pastor parasites hitchhiker's so to speak on the frag plug removing it helps to not contaminate your tank I agree though there is no wrong or white right way of doing it. @802 scuba fish is correct

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t like to see the plugs in the DT but sometimes you have no choice. I ordered a bag of coralline purple plugs that should be here tomorrow. Should blend in nicer with the live rock and I know they won’t have any hitchhikers on them.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow my corals out on tiles or the plug depending on where they are going in my tank. i also have a frag tank that I like to grow them out before I add them to the display tank. It all depends on what you want and what you are doing.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone.

whats the easiest way to remove the plug?
Depends on whether it’s a hard or soft coral but usually something like a flathead screwdriver (for harder corals) or a razor blade (for softer) should do. :) I always remove mine from plugs because plugs can harbor ick and pests. I then dip the individual coral frags and then reglue them to new plugs. (You can always leave a few plugs in your sump or back end of the display tank if you want the plug to be more seasoned looking... or you could do the same with coral rubble and then fit those tiny rubble pieces right into your rockwork for a more natural look. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back