New coral ideas/ placement

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some redesigning in my tank and found I’m lacking some color. I’m looking for types of coral that can give color and fill in bare rock spots. I was thinking rock anemones and ricordia ( I think I spelled that wrong ). But I would love some suggestions. I’m trying to stay away from SPS coral but am open to LPS and softies. I’ll post pictures of my tank and you tell me what will look best. Pictures aren’t the best because of the light. Also is there any type of lps that likes high flow because the top of my rock scape is pretty barren and I was hoping to add something there

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These encrusting corals offer great colors and are relatively hardy, generally do not require a ton of light so should fit your need but since I can't tell what par you have on those rocks please do your research to see whats appropriate

Leptastrea
Cyphastrea
Psammorcora
Leptoseris

The last two are technically SPS but are very hardy and beginner friendly that do not require a lot of light at all (very different in terms of care than ur typical SPS like acro or monti)

For ex my leptoseris is actually in the shade inside an overhang.

OP
OP
Austin456

Austin456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These encrusting corals offer great colors and are relatively hardy, generally do not require a ton of light so should fit your need but since I can't tell what par you have on those rocks please do your research to see whats appropriate

Leptastrea
Cyphastrea
Psammorcora
Leptoseris

The last two are technically SPS but are very hardy and beginner friendly that do not require a lot of light at all (very different in terms of care than ur typical SPS like acro or monti)

For ex my leptoseris is actually in the shade inside an overhang.
Wow, thank for the list, the leptoseris sounds good because I do have a overhang in my tank that needs filling, any high flow corals that can go in the top of my tank. High light and high flow area

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its also relative - my lepto is in the shade but even that shade is 60 par bc I have SPS and have very powerful light so even the reflections off the side pane in the inside is enough for it..

Renting a par meter from BRS is a good one time expense IMO if you really want to know what corals is appropriate

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lepastrea
Stylopora - purple and green
mushroom
acan coral
digita coral
Grandis Paly coral

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ai prime 16hd running over my light, I don’t know the approx par tho

I use primes too - I have 2 on my 29G, 10inch above water. max setting for the purple and blue spectrums. I get about 250 on my upper third of the tank. If only one tho I doubt it'll be too high (probably 150 to 200). Many of what we suggested above can tolerate those levels if aclimated and raised to those levels slowly.

Only ones I won't put that high up are cyphastreas and lepto

Check all of them out and see what you like including what Vette mentioned. Tidal gardens has a good general profile for all of them so you get an idea of their lighting/flow requirements. Most would be fine if you start them at the bottom and raise them up slowly to yiur desired level as you acclimate. If they are unhappy they'll show you - either not opening or changing colors.

Back