New coral

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just brought my first coral it’s a toadstool leather it’s been in the tank for about an hour and it’s starting to open up is this good I’m just wondering it’s my first coral.
It's a very good coral for your first. They are tolerant of mistakes and fluctuations of parameters.

Pics or you don't have one
Yeah Right Smile GIF by Apple TV

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231031_210342.jpg

About as wide as a vollyball. Not a toadstool but a devils hand.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a very good coral for your first. They are tolerant of mistakes and fluctuations of parameters.

Pics or you don't have one
Yeah Right Smile GIF by Apple TV
It’s the green variety I’ve been doing lots of research and I heard about them being easy and ther was a green one for $12 at the shop it’s very small though it’s almost fully open up I’ll get a photo when fully open.
Thanks

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a lot smaller then these like the half a thumb size but he is almost fully open and I can see some of the polyps are still extending I’ll get a photo where fully open
They grow fast when happy . Also expect to occasionally retract and kinda look a bit like a smooth skin underwater shroom.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a photo and it looks fully out this is a toadstool right
40D8AC0C-CAC8-4F67-A60E-A9F5A55448BC.jpeg
4BF7284C-6248-4F24-A90A-984B7F7222F8.jpeg
Looks happy! Always a good sign when the open so quickly. It acclimated to your tank well.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks happy! Always a good sign when the open so quickly. It acclimated to your tank well.
Yeah the polyps have opened up even more too I just hope he stays good I’m going on holidays for 3 days and I don’t have a timer and my light wont be on for 3 days do you reckon it will be alright. I know people do black outs but I’m just worried because it’s a new addition and I can’t get a timer because all shops are closed for Christmas.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the polyps have opened up even more too I just hope he stays good I’m going on holidays for 3 days and I don’t have a timer and my light wont be on for 3 days do you reckon it will be alright. I know people do black outs but I’m just worried because it’s a new addition and I can’t get a timer because all shops are closed for Christmas.
It looks good. They grow pretty quick

No way for you to get a timer

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well picture your beautiful Great Barrier Reef. I am sure that down under you get storms blocking the sun for days and much more and the corals thrive. Enjoy your Holiday.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well picture your beautiful Great Barrier Reef. I am sure that down under you get storms blocking the sun for days and much more and the corals thrive. Enjoy your Holiday.
When I got back from holidays this is what the coral looked like I had a timer the light was working what do you think is wrong with it it has Abit of white film on it
IMG_3817.jpeg
IMG_3816.jpeg

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a salinity tester only all the others I’ve been getting topped off
Tbh you need to test what the salt levels are in the tank . You can get a cheap one just for now to give you an idea of what the salinity is in the tank !! Guessing just won't cut it I'm afraid

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh you need to test what the salt levels are in the tank . You can get a cheap one just for now to give you an idea of what the salinity is in the tank !! Guessing just won't cut it I'm afraid
Alright I’ll get one I did a test on all the levels in my tank and ther fine so I really don’t know what’s wrong with it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back