New corals not opening

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got two new corals a Duncan and (I can’t remember the name it begins with a G) almost a week ago now and they haven’t opened up yet at all does anyone know what is wrong ?

image.jpg image.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that the issue as the corals I already have are fine
Theres only 3 things it can be. Parameters, lighting and flow. Description of each will help us get to the bottom of the issue.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind if your parameters are off, your existing corals have been slowly acclimated to their current conditions. This could be why your new corals aren’t happy and your existing ones are open. Most active members on here know that parameters/lighting/flow need to be mentioned when asking for help, otherwise you won’t get accurate advice.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for lighting I have a Maxspect jump light on an around 10 hours a day , for flow I have the filter valve towards the top of the tank

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, I haven’t had to acclimate many of my corals to my AI but I have a few new Rasta zoas that I bought and I couldn’t get them to open (simultaneously bought some darth maul polyps alone with them and they opened up just fine). Tried dipping several times and even an rodi with a dash of baking soda dip. Nothing worked until I did an acclimation period for a new torch my daughter got me. They’re slowly starting to open after almost 2 weeks. Maybe try acclimation of light if you ever run into this again.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, I haven’t had to acclimate many of my corals to my AI but I have a few new Rasta zoas that I bought and I couldn’t get them to open (simultaneously bought some darth maul polyps alone with them and they opened up just fine). Tried dipping several times and even an rodi with a dash of baking soda dip. Nothing worked until I did an acclimation period for a new torch my daughter got me. They’re slowly starting to open after almost 2 weeks. Maybe try acclimation of light if you ever run into this again.
What’s an acclimation of light ?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s an acclimation of light ?

It’s where you bring your normal light intensity down to your preferred setting and slowly ramp it back to normal over the course of a few days. Ai 16hd has a setting where it automatically does it after setting your start intensity and time.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s where you bring your normal light intensity down to your preferred setting and slowly ramp it back to normal over the course of a few days. Ai 16hd has a setting where it automatically does it after setting your start intensity and time.
Ah ok thanks

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pictures are kinda blurry on my phone but in your first pic it looks like there’s a fair amount of bubble algae along with some GHA. This would lead me to believe your nutrients are elevated.

Like @SchrutesReefs mentioned your existing coral have adapted to your current water conditions however the new additions are most likely stressed from the change in parameters between your tank and the system they came from.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pictures are kinda blurry on my phone but in your first pic it looks like there’s a fair amount of bubble algae along with some GHA. This would lead me to believe your nutrients are elevated.

Like @SchrutesReefs mentioned your existing coral have adapted to your current water conditions however the new additions are most likely stressed from the change in parameters between your tank and the system they came from.
There is a lot of algae at the minute I cleaned the glass yesterday and it’s already covered in algae again but it has been up and running with fish since October last year so could still be the ugly stage

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was going to mention the algae...

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of algae at the minute I cleaned the glass yesterday and it’s already covered in algae again but it has been up and running with fish since October last year so could still be the ugly stage
Probably should check your phos and nos

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s covering up with algae within a day I suspect your nitrates/phosphates could be elevated. Do you have any parameters? Also, do you have the parameters on the water that these corals came in from?

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic information about your tank really helps us to help you with troubleshooting problems. Tank size, inhabitants, current water parameters, feeding routine, nutrient export. Honestly the more you can give us will greatly help the advice you’ll receive.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic information about your tank really helps us to help you with troubleshooting problems. Tank size, inhabitants, current water parameters, feeding routine, nutrient export. Honestly the more you can give us will greatly help the advice you’ll receive.
Agreed. The solution lies in the details. By just saying parameters are good, doesn't help. Most times in these situations there's actually something that should be attended to. Algae present could mean either high or no nitrate/phosphate at all.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to my lfs about it and they said the test kit I had wasn’t the most accurate so I’m going to take some of my water to be tested this weekend then get back to you
It is 80 litres (22 gallons)and for inhabitants I have a pair of clownfish , a Midas blenny , a royal gramma and the CUC which is 2-5 snails (hard to count can’t tell if the shells are empty ones I put in for the hermits or not ) and about 2-3 hermit crabs

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back