new custom build ... reef savvy or coast to coast?

Eric Wadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm planning on ordering a new tank (72 x 30 x 24) I have contacted coast to coast and reef savvy also considering miracle. Any opinions on who to go with? Reef Savvy's phantom bottom and ghost overflow are very nice especially since I wanted BB and was going to put down starboard which I won't have to with the phantom bottom. Also coast to coast has a very nice reputation on their hang on overflow is very nice.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some nice tanks from both reef savvy and ctc. But I couldn't justify the costs even if it were my dream build. Guess I'm just cheap lol.

My buddy had a sweet miracles rimless with frosted rear glass. I really could see myself spending money on one. Really clean look.

OP
OP
Eric Wadle

Eric Wadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rimless is nice but for a larger tank I was thinking eurobrace for a little more support

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way is it crazy! I missed the dimensionsthe first read through.

Either way, I'd still check with miracles.

OP
OP
Eric Wadle

Eric Wadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will contact them but I have read that they are not as nice. I also have to consider shipping could end up costing more than the tank lol

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Glass Cages.com, I got Starfire glass 65g and 150g from them at a great price, very low shipping. Custom build is a great way to go, you get what u want the first time and there is no need to upgrade later.

OP
OP
Eric Wadle

Eric Wadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill check out glass cages again I read some not so great reviews and the quoted "you get what you pay for" but def willing to give it another look ... just don't want any regrets later

OP
OP
Eric Wadle

Eric Wadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only coast to coast has gotten back to me and I had originally asked for a smaller size 72x24x24 and with shipping and a metal frame stand the quote is over 6 grand

OP
OP
Eric Wadle

Eric Wadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely not ruling them out ... very high quality builds but I need to get a quote for the correct specs and would like to see what the other say

atlorange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If time waiting and $$ aren't a concern then I would go with Reef Savvy. I really don't think there is anything out that there that quite compares. I am just too impatient to wait 6 months or more for a build. I have seen some wait for a year from the time they put down their deposit to when tank is delivered.

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CTC tank and metal frame is built like a tank. I'm very happy with the build quality.

Mine is a 36 by 36 cube. I would say the pricing is comparable to yours given the different dimensions.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a custom with Planet Aquariums. The price was pretty good and the aquarium looks nice. However, they didn't really do what I asked.

-It is a peninsula tank with the overflow on one of the short sides. I asked for the overflow holes to be drilled to put the overflow off centered to give extra room for powerheads next to it. They drilled the holes to center the overflow.

-I asked for a hole for return plumbing. They didn't drill it.

-They said the tank would be "euro braced"-- I assumed this meant ONLY euro braced. It actually showed up euro braced AND black trim. I didn't specify this exactly, so I guess that is my fault.

I'm assuming they actually used starfire glass, as I paid for it. It is still wrapped in celephane at the LFS, so I can't speak much either way.

The tank was ordered through our LFS, so I don't know if it was their fault or Planet Aquariums. Our LFS owner is really popular with the locals, and I am a softie, so I decided to let him drill the hole and just take the aquarium as is in order to not cause any problems. He made me feel guilty for even insinuating there would be any other alternative.

Long story short... Be explicit with what you want, and be prepared if they don't do it correctly.

OP
OP
Eric Wadle

Eric Wadle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hope it all works out ... Good luck! and ill be specific.... I talked to Felix today and he spent plenty of time on the phone going over details .... he doesn't handle the quotes so I don't have that information yet but from the conversation with him today I have a very good feeling about reef savvy

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has any complaints about reef savvy that I have seen. Beautifully done and structurally solid. The only problem is they can be around 3x the cost of the "middle tier" of customs and you might have a year wait, depending on how busy he is.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely consider Reef Savvy over Coast to Coast. About two years ago I ordered a 400 gallon from Coast to Coast (see signature), it holds water but the attention to detail is really lacking. Silicone was everywhere and none of the eurobraces were polished on the edges. It looked horrible in comparison to the rest of the tank, although, this wouldn't be a problem if you're planning a canopy.

For the price (~ $11k with stand) Coast to Coast is not a great option, IMO. I wouldn't order another tank from them if the cost was half the price.

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked I to c2c ,miracles , reef savvy,..if money was no object then c2c .for getting what u pay for I would have went miracles ,...although i did chicken out of getting a glass tank due to my last 300 leak ...i went with a 400 gallon acrylic from living color.i feel acrylic will be stronger and last longer that's y aquariums , restaurants ,offices use them .I would have much rather had a scratch then a split seam

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back