New Diamond Goby - Big Breaths

c0mf0rt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was spastic while catching him both at the store and when I got him out of the bucket after drip acclimation, but healthy. He's currently sifting sand a bit here and there but in between he raises up and inch or so and looks to be taking BIG breaths with his mouth open. Then back down, sometimes he'll repeat, sometimes he sifts more sand. He's not breathing quickly or going to the top of the tank. Just opening his mouth really wide and raising up an inch, then back down. Is this normal?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They act very erratic at first. Sometimes darting all over the tank freaking other fish out. If you got him today try turning the lights off until tomorrow. When I introduce new fish I usually turn off part or all of the lights for a while until the fish seems comfortable.

OP
OP
C

c0mf0rt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K. Yeah I had the lights out before I introduced him so hopefully he will settle down. I wouldn't worry aside from the "hopping/gulping". He was definitely darting when it came time to scoop him in.

OP
OP
C

c0mf0rt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he jumped last night. So irritating. The six line that was acclimated with him is doing great.

MattyMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was spastic while catching him both at the store and when I got him out of the bucket after drip acclimation, but healthy. He's currently sifting sand a bit here and there but in between he raises up and inch or so and looks to be taking BIG breaths with his mouth open. Then back down, sometimes he'll repeat, sometimes he sifts more sand. He's not breathing quickly or going to the top of the tank. Just opening his mouth really wide and raising up an inch, then back down. Is this normal?
Mine does this, too. Had him for almost 3 months. Not 100% sure, but it looks to me like a dominance posture, trying to show his mouth, or make his head seem larger, etc. Usually does it at me, but not at tankmates. And it's not all the time, just once in a while. Or maybe he's yawning, for all I know.

Back