New Discoveries

SirRoadwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG0685-20180810-182649331.jpg

This is growing on the underside of one of my live rocks. It wasn't there before, to the extent that I noticed it, however it seems to be growing quickly enough. It seems to be alive, as it will retract a little if gently tapped with a rod. I assume it is a type of coral?

IMAG0687-20180810-204711606.jpg

These things are also beside the clam, however they are harder tubes, with what look like tiny feelers inside them. They don't seem to react when lightly tapped with a rod. Also, the plant with the round leaves is interesting...

IMAG0688-20180810-204710954.jpg

This one has 2 tubes which extend out from a central soft tissue. It is beside a clam, so maybe it is part of the clam? But it never goes inside the clam.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting.
First pic doesn’t look like a sponge as that will be a first thought but if it retracts we really talking a invert here.
Second and third pic are a little blurry but it could be tubeworms which are filter feeders.

#reefsquad

OP
OP
SirRoadwolf

SirRoadwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Retro Reefer is correct about the first and 2nd pic... Are Tunicates invasive? or kinda cool to have? Cup Coral seems to be invasive from what I have read? Should I remove it?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Retro Reefer is correct about the first and 2nd pic... Are Tunicates invasive? or kinda cool to have? Cup Coral seems to be invasive from what I have read? Should I remove it?

I have had them over the years and never found them to be that invasive but keep a eye on them.. not sure about that species of tunicates seems like a pretty big patch, if needed you can pull the rock and scrub them off.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea on the first picture.Do you still have it?
Not sure on the second photo either,it does not look harmful.Possibly a coral tunicate.
The third is a vermetid snail.These will irritate nearby corals and can reproduce to plague proportions.Best to get rid of them when you can in my opinion.

OP
OP
SirRoadwolf

SirRoadwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The third is a vermetid snail.These will irritate nearby corals and can reproduce to plague proportions.Best to get rid of them when you can in my opinion.

The third one doesn't move tho? Is it still a snail?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back