New DIY sump

Abe Velei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello . I just finished doing my 20 gal long sump and the water test went perfect , buuuuut . I decided to go with a design that combines a kind of section with egg crate and a bubble trap . My last baffle before the return is short to the point that that what ever I pretend to be in the upper egg crate is just not going to be under water . Look pic . My question is . Do I change it for a taller one or do i just remove it
A7E6B67F-EBAF-4D7D-8712-94BE3930AD04.png

OP
OP
A

Abe Velei

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always just throw in a type of filter sponge across that
Thanks . I didn’t realize the level of water on that section was going to be dictated by the last baffle height . I am not in a hurry . I just want to know what is better for the sump performance . Remove the last baffle or change it for a taller .

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks . I didn’t realize the level of water on that section was going to be dictated by the last baffle height . I am not in a hurry . I just want to know what is better for the sump performance . Remove the last baffle or change it for a taller .
What do you plan to use the egg crate for? To hold a filter sponge? If that's the case then you can just remove the last panel. If you are going to put bio media in there then you will need to raise the last baffle. The answer depends on the purpose of your set up.

notsobigtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your spacing may make your trap less effective than it could be. Typically panel spacing for a bubble trap should all be uniform. ie, whatever distance you have between each panel should be the same distance your center panel should be from the bottom of the sump. I added a strip of egg crate in mine to help keep my macro out of my bubble trap.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back