New Duncan and Hammer Dying

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Yesterday I purchased a Duncan and hammer coral for my new tank, which has been cycling for a month now. I added them to the tank, and noticed this morning they are still closed, and the hammer is showing signs of its skeleton. A lot of flesh has fallen off it, and I’m unsure what happened.

I used an API saltwater test kit and it shows all levels are normal, nitrate being 30ppm. I’ll be doing a water change tonight, but I’m not sure what the problem is. The store I purchased it from recommended it for a beginner. The Duncan isn’t looking to good either, but still has tentacles

IMG_5634.jpeg

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Yesterday I purchased a Duncan and hammer coral for my new tank, which has been cycling for a month now. I added them to the tank, and noticed this morning they are still closed, and the hammer is showing signs of its skeleton. A lot of flesh has fallen off it, and I’m unsure what happened.

I used an API saltwater test kit and it shows all levels are normal, nitrate being 30ppm. I’ll be doing a water change tonight, but I’m not sure what the problem is. The store I purchased it from recommended it for a beginner. The Duncan isn’t looking to good either, but still has tentacles

IMG_5634.jpeg
What kind of light are you using? If I may ask? I have a bunch of Dunkins in my tank.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I also did the dumb when I set up my first tank and got coral too quickly. I still have 2 of them 2 years later but lost 2 completely. I misremembered some info thinking 6 weeks was okay. When in reality it’s more like 6 months as others mentioned.

The main thing you did wrong was add them too early. It happens we all make mistakes.

Judging by the amount of light I’m seeing i wonder if you dimmed your lights at all when adding them. Corals don’t like new lights and need to be acclimated to a new light source. They were used to the ones at your lfs, so if you didn’t shelter it and set it out in the open without dimming your light it may have irritated it some as well.

Also 30 ppm nitrates is on the high side. Most kits measure higher, but with a reef tank you should be aiming to stay under 20ppm. So it’s high, and may have contributed, but it’s nothing a few good water changes can’t solve.

All in all, sorry, I know from experience that’s a rough start to the hobby. But I do recommend you stick with it. Just enjoy watching the fish swim around and keep the tank clean for a bit while the tank matures.

OP
OP
S

SpenserJ9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. It’s been years since I’ve had a reef tank, and I believed that it would be ready. The Duncan looks a bit better, but I’m going to hold off on coral for a bit until the tank matures and my water quality stabilizes

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have to wait 6 months to add coral. You do need to acclimate corals to your tank parameters, alk, calc, nitrate, temp, sg, and lighting, flow. Its not great to have corals and go through the algae phase sure. If you are on top of it with correct cuc or manually its ok. Its not because this tank was set up a month ago. I'd like to see pics of the corals under white light before and after addition and actual parameters of the above before I would be saying its because its a new tank. I mean its been 1 day if the hammer was ok truly ok when purchased its not in that shape from it being a new tank that is actually cycled.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you say, your parameters are "normal", but we can already see the nitrate is higher than the "average" reef tank. What are the phosphate, alk, calcium, mag levels?

Being a brand new tank, its very likely the parameters are not matching the mature reef tank parameters that the corals came from. Obviously the light and flow are also different than the tank where the corals came from, so they are having a very hard time to acclimate to your tank.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you say, your parameters are "normal", but we can already see the nitrate is higher than the "average" reef tank. What are the phosphate, alk, calcium, mag levels?

Being a brand new tank, its very likely the parameters are not matching the mature reef tank parameters that the corals came from. Obviously the light and flow are also different than the tank where the corals came from, so they are having a very hard time to acclimate to your tank.
IMG_3228.jpeg

That’s a lot more than acclamation stress.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back