New Duncan and Hammer Dying

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have to wait 6 months to add coral. You do need to acclimate corals to your tank parameters, alk, calc, nitrate, temp, sg, and lighting, flow. Its not great to have corals and go through the algae phase sure. If you are on top of it with correct cuc or manually its ok. Its not because this tank was set up a month ago. I'd like to see pics of the corals under white light before and after addition and actual parameters of the above before I would be saying its because its a new tank. I mean its been 1 day if the hammer was ok truly ok when purchased its not in that shape from it being a new tank that is actually cycled.
Exactly. The challenge with a new tank is:

1) parameters tend to be less stable. So sometimes big swings in Alk, N, P, etc. corals don’t like this - much easier when they are steady (sometimes regardless of the number unless it’s dangerously high or low).

2) algae - your going to get the ugly phase which will cause swing in parameters (#1), and also potentially crowd or smother your new frags. Need to be on top of it

3) lighting - as others said, acclimate and start low. You don’t know the old setting , so start low and you can also just place them lower in the tank to start.

4) you start with a smaller micro-biome. So the sponges, pods, filter feeders and other stuff that help a healthy aquarium are not there. If your starting fresh (no live rock), they only way to really introduce that is to go out and purchase it explicitly or start adding some coral frags slowly.

I don’t think you need to wait 6 months, but need to take into account 1-4, start slow, pick some easy coral (like you did), stay on top of maintenance.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. The challenge with a new tank is:

1) parameters tend to be less stable. So sometimes big swings in Alk, N, P, etc. corals don’t like this - much easier when they are steady (sometimes regardless of the number unless it’s dangerously high or low).

2) algae - your going to get the ugly phase which will cause swing in parameters (#1), and also potentially crowd or smother your new frags. Need to be on top of it

3) lighting - as others said, acclimate and start low. You don’t know the old setting , so start low and you can also just place them lower in the tank to start.

4) you start with a smaller micro-biome. So the sponges, pods, filter feeders and other stuff that help a healthy aquarium are not there. If your starting fresh (no live rock), they only way to really introduce that is to go out and purchase it explicitly or start adding some coral frags slowly.

I don’t think you need to wait 6 months, but need to take into account 1-4, start slow, pick some easy coral (like you did), stay on top of maintenance.
I agree.
This was not caused by any of that though. Any of that would take some time if the coral was acclimated to the tank parameters. That happened in 1 day.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's dead because you added coral 1 month into reefing.

In what looks like a dry rock sterile tank.

LFS lied to you to make the sale. I would fire them. You need at lest 6 months to think about corals.
It’s certainly not perfect, but my tank was set up in August 2023 and I started adding corals about a month later. Last one added was the Flowerpot just after Thanksgiving. Having to wait one month or 6 isn’t true in and of itself.

And I apologize for the sideways video. Didn’t realize until after I posted.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my 30g in 1 day. Waited a week to put anything live in (didnt need to). On the following saturday I added an angler 5 snails and 5 corals. Within a month it had everything I could put in there in. 3 torches, 3 hammers, 2 duncans, a handful of zoas, 5 rfas, a blasto, 1 digi, and a photo gorg. I used wet lfs live rock and seeded media. With the limited cuc I can have (angler) I had to manually handle the uglies but it was no issue everything is still happy a year later. I get dry rock is a little harder but your main parameters are not going to be affected. Nitrates and phosphates rise and fall in every tank depending on the corals that can be a huge issue or nothing at all. Alk swings are bad but dry rock isnt going to effect that.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right, I’ve been seeing several of these thing myself recently. I’ve seen it being said that coral actually does not care about ammonia.

My corals did not melt like this, but were rather unhappy for a long time. Was probably poor light acclimation. Got them too close to the light too fast.

I think in the case of a new reefer it is probably best practice to wait a while longer. Though I am thinking 6 months is a bit too long after hearing some of this. I haven’t researched the topic enough. So I don’t like being the one who recommends them.

Coral is expensive to some of us, so if you will have better success honing in your routines over a few months. Then that is best, for you experienced folks, don’t let me stop ya haha.

I agree that you can add coral day one, but not everyone probably should.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as a matter of fact I’ll help you. Look on Youtube and search ‘1-Day Nano Reef’ by a legend Jake Adams.
I know who Jake is and his touch on this hobby will never be forgotten.

You're right .

Now you have a great week buddy. SMILE

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back