New filter sock rinsing

sailfish1095

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2024
Messages
39
Reaction score
11
Location
CNY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this in a BRS article: "Always rinse NEW filter socks before use in your tank to wash away manufacturing residue. You can use RO/DI water but tap water is probably fine as long as you let it dry before using it."
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cont...can use RO/DI,residue on the filter material.

I have been rinsing new filter socks in tap water and hand wringing them out immediately before putting in my tank without completely drying. I haven't noticed any ill effects, but probably worth mentioning the tank (65G) is only about 2 months old and has a single blenny in it.

What is commonly done to prepare new socks? I think I will discontinue this practice and let them dry out completely.
 
I’ve always rinsed them in tap water and put them directly into the tank. I’ve never had any problems!
 
I made the mistake of no rinsing new socks.
Didn’t kill anything but the skimmer went nuts for hours.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new