New Fish/Coral Decisions

Tennsion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am being taken to my very nice lfs about 90 miles away. Don't get to go too often, but this is a birthday trip. 75g Tank will end its second month. Diatoms bloomed heavily and are pretty much all gone. Water parameters very stable over several weeks. I practice very good husbandry.

I have 2 clowns (very small), 1 B. Cardinal, 1 Diamond goby. Duncan frag, Blasto frag, Gsp frag, a few mushrooms, a tiny patch of Spiderman zoas. I have some extra $$ plus will be picking something for my gift.

So, tell me what to buy!!! I'm wanting a hammer and I think the tank is ready, but looking for support. And other suggestions (something swimmy or colorful). Thanks.

Lighting is 2 Ai Hydra 32s.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora are colorful and you can usually get them all sizes. It sounds like your tank is a bit young. It's easier to keep things alive if you take it slow and let it stabilize. I'm getting closer to a year in and just now feel like my tank is getting mature.

OP
OP
T

Tennsion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owww, I would never try a goni yet. Maybe at a year or so as you said. I'm hoping to try a hammer, acan, frogspawn, toadstool, etc., but will also avoid torches. I do dip every coral which hopefully is helpful. And I would consider a mid-tank swimming fish, but that's not necessary.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owww, I would never try a goni yet. Maybe at a year or so as you said. I'm hoping to try a hammer, acan, frogspawn, toadstool, etc., but will also avoid torches. I do dip every coral which hopefully is helpful. And I would consider a mid-tank swimming fish, but that's not necessary.
A tang is a perfect addition for younger tank.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all you listed will be great choices. I added my first hammer at around that same 2 month mark and it’s still doing great to this day. Also added in a octospawn around that same time doing great as well. Hammers are one of the easier corals for me and it’s easy to tell when they’re upset or not doing too good

OP
OP
T

Tennsion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tang is a perfect addition for younger tank.
I only have a 75g. And I wouldn't want to trade a tang later. I did keep a Hippo tang for many, many years in a 55 and then 90...but that was long, long ago. Im just now re-entering the hobby after a long break and much has changed. People get quite irritable about tangs in a 75.....

OP
OP
T

Tennsion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all you listed will be great choices. I added my first hammer at around that same 2 month mark and it’s still doing great to this day. Also added in a octospawn around that same time doing great as well. Hammers are one of the easier corals for me and it’s easy to tell when they’re upset or not doing too good
I love the hammers. The branching ones and want to work toward a small hammer garden over time. Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd see what they have. I usually go shopping with color in mind rather than species.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back