New Fish For 20g w/Established Clowns

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says! Clowns have been in tank for about 6 months. Interested in a third and final fish to finish off my stocking. Just worried about aggression possible from the female. Thoughts/recommendations?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get something that doesn’t occupy the same range, as in a sand or rock dweller. Something like a shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp would be a great addition.

OP
OP
Tamale

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was leaning towards. It just seems like a lot of those guys are sand-sifters or algae eaters. I have a pretty diverse cuc and am worried that they either won't have enough food or out compete the cuc if that makes sense haha

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimpgobies tend to eat lots of the small inverts like pods and mysis - the shrimp is a detritivore but may also go for lots of the benthic hitchhikers.
Neither are much of an algae eater.
Pistol definitely is great at sand sifting, though mine worked out fine with lots of nassarius snails in my 13.5.

OP
OP
Tamale

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimpgobies tend to eat lots of the small inverts like pods and mysis - the shrimp is a detritivore but may also go for lots of the benthic hitchhikers.
Neither are much of an algae eater.
Pistol definitely is great at sand sifting, though mine worked out fine with lots of nassarius snails in my 13.5.
That's good to hear! I think the relationship between pistols and certain gobies is really cool for sure. I have heard that they tend to send up sand clouds at times tho? Also do you have any issues siphoning the sand with them in the tank?

I seeded my tank with pods about a week and some change ago and started to dose phyto every day for about the same time!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear! I think the relationship between pistols and certain gobies is really cool for sure. I have heard that they tend to send up sand clouds at times tho? Also do you have any issues siphoning the sand with them in the tank?

I seeded my tank with pods about a week and some change ago and started to dose phyto every day for about the same time!
I don’t have to siphon sand with them…they kept it spotless. Sometimes they may make a mess but it’s usually small and settles almost immediately, the big issue with a pistol is just that anything not glued down is a furniture option.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown gobies are definitely cute. Sure the GF would love one of them haha. They like having big corals to perch on don't they?
I

Haven't had one yet but plan on adding one soon...I believe they're mainly benthic so they'll sit on the bottom most of the time
Clown gobies naturally live in acro colonies in the wild. In tanks they will typically do fine with rock or any coral.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Win some points with your girl man and get a little clown goby haha...they come in a couple colors... honestly you could probably have both a clown goby and the yellow watchman with shrimp since both stay small

OP
OP
Tamale

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have to siphon sand with them…they kept it spotless. Sometimes they may make a mess but it’s usually small and settles almost immediately, the big issue with a pistol is just that anything not glued down is a furniture option.
That's really cool actually! Keeping the sand clean has always been one of my big priorities so having someone do the heavy lifting is enticing haha. I have my rock work resting on the bottom of the tank too so it is ready in that respect!

Clown gobies naturally live in acro colonies in the wild. In tanks they will typically do fine with rock or any coral.
That's what I thought. My tank is all softies/LPS/Zoas etc so would feel bad not having at least one acro for the little guy.

OP
OP
Tamale

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Win some points with your girl man and get a little clown goby haha...they come in a couple colors... honestly you could probably have both a clown goby and the yellow watchman with shrimp since both stay small
Very true! I'll definitely think about it haha. Maybe when I start up the SPS tank I'll pick up one!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought. My tank is all softies/LPS/Zoas etc so would feel bad not having at least one acro for the little guy.
That was actually one of the main things that kept me from getting one in my nano. I found mixed info on if they truly need the acro to survive or not. Now that I’ve upgraded, who knows?

OP
OP
Tamale

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was actually one of the main things that kept me from getting one in my nano. I found mixed info on if they truly need the acro to survive or not. Now that I’ve upgraded, who knows?
Yeah, I don't feel bad for my clowns not having an anemone because they are free swimmers and the kings of the tank. But I'd feel bad for the goby not having somewhere to hide that is natural to them.

Sidenote: For your goby/shrimp, do you have just fine-ish sand or do you have some coral rubble/bigger substrate as well? I've read that you should have coral rubble to help them w/building their cave(s).

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had sand, but there were plenty of unused plugs, coral putty pieces, and shells for him to steal. The rubble I had was too big for the shrimp, but smaller rubble would definitely be appreciated by it.

OP
OP
Tamale

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had sand, but there were plenty of unused plugs, coral putty pieces, and shells for him to steal. The rubble I had was too big for the shrimp, but smaller rubble would definitely be appreciated by it.
Okay good to know! I'll start looking to add some. I'm leaning towards a yasha/randalls shrimp pair.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a good option for a smaller tank. Any stonogobiops or amblyeliotris goby would be a good fit, Randall’s is definitely the preferred shrimp for either.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says! Clowns have been in tank for about 6 months. Interested in a third and final fish to finish off my stocking. Just worried about aggression possible from the female. Thoughts/recommendations?

Do the clowns bite you when you put your hand in the tank?

If so, I wouldn't put anything in there. If not, you may be ok.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back