New Fish Had Ich. Removed Under 24 Hours. Did it Infest Tank?

Sarcasm Included

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not say they jump fish to fish as yes , they recycle/reproduce and find host once again
There is no 3 days rule as often when we see the parasites, they are in tromont or trophants stages already
I don't actually expect that he would remove all the fish from the tank, it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Not discounting your advice but if you look at the specifics of this case, you can see that my statement can bear true...

Assuming that Ich is introduced with the new fish and not present in the tank prior (which is assumed in this case). Ich is only present as Tophants attached to the fish. Assume further that the immediately upon being introduced some Trophants released as Protomonts and formed Tromonts in the substrate. It will take roughly 3 days for the Tomites to develop and release to become Theronts which will search for its new victim. Thus you have roughly 3 days from the introduction of Ich to the system before the other residents are in danger of infection.

In normal conditions by the time Ich is discovered, you would assume that all stages are present in the system and that al residents are likely infected.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't actually expect that he would remove all the fish from the tank, it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Not discounting your advice but if you look at the specifics of this case, you can see that my statement can bear true...

Assuming that Ich is introduced with the new fish and not present in the tank prior (which is assumed in this case). Ich is only present as Tophants attached to the fish. Assume further that the immediately upon being introduced some Trophants released as Protomonts and formed Tromonts in the substrate. It will take roughly 3 days for the Tomites to develop and release to become Theronts which will search for its new victim. Thus you have roughly 3 days from the introduction of Ich to the system before the other residents are in danger of infection.

In normal conditions by the time Ich is discovered, you would assume that all stages are present in the system and that al residents are likely infected.
After 42 years of saltwater, I know a thing or 10 about disease, not that your statements are off. We don’t know if it’s 2, 3, 4 days and to set a 3 day window is advise I simply don’t give

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back