New fish not eating, on off

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Saturday I added a banggai cardinal and it’s still not eating. I do test my water regularly and I’ve noticed today the pH, according to the API kit is 7.8. It is the kit? Or that low? Everything, including the sps corals are fine, with good polyp extension. Calcium was 450, alk 9, mag 1300, phos. <.25 nitrite 0, nitrate ~2.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is fine, my tank fluctuates from 7.8 to 8 throughout the day. Especially if your SPS is fine, then there is no issue with the water. Is this your first fish in that tank? If it's is still small, and fairly young they are known to be extremely picky and hard to get them to eat. What have you tried feeding? I would try some sort of live food.

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, other fish in the tank, it’s about 13 months old. I know from past experience with cardinals they can take a few days, but I’m starting to worry a bit. I don’t know any stores close to me have live food. I called the store and they said it was eating frozen brine and mysis
pH is fine, my tank fluctuates from 7.8 to 8 throughout the day. Especially if your SPS is fine, then there is no issue with the water. Is this your first fish in that tank? If it's is still small, and fairly young they are known to be extremely picky and hard to get them to eat. What have you tried feeding? I would try some sort of live food.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this. Very finicky eaters, always hesitant during feeding. I have had a few for several years & still keep their distance during feeding. I literately need to step away from the tank so they are comfortable in feeding.

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I’ve never had any that bad. Hopefully it’ll start eating soon.
I second this. Very finicky eaters, always hesitant during feeding. I have had a few for several years & still keep their distance during feeding. I literately need to step away from the tank so they are comfortable in feeding

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I’ve never had any that bad. Hopefully it’ll start eating soon.
Try propping up your phone to where you can view the whole tank, turn your pumps off, put in some food and walk away for about 5 minutes. Play the video to see if it ate. Fish definitely can see us and sometimes that stresses them out since we are huge compared to them.

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try propping up your phone to where you can view the whole tank, turn your pumps off, put in some food and walk away for about 5 minutes. Play the video to see if it ate. Fish definitely can see us and sometimes that stresses them out since we are huge compared to them.
I can try that. I think it might be picking at pods off the glass, but idk how long that might last. I know the firefish are eating them.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try that. I think it might be picking at pods off the glass, but idk how long that might last. I know the firefish are eating them.
Yes - they will eat plankton and other small crustaceans. Highly possible that's what it's eating.

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still has absolutely no interest in eating food. It’s looking pretty skinny, its belly and head are pinched in. I doubt it’ll make it. But im
Gonna try some live brine tomorrow.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just an update, sadly the fish didn’t make it. When I got home from work it was dead on the sandbed and the clean up crew pretty much had it picked clean
I am so sorry to hear. Don't be afraid to try again, sometimes every once in awhile we get a fish that is not well suited to be kept in aquariums. It happens to all of us.

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just an update, sadly the fish didn’t make it. When I got home from work it was dead on the sandbed and the clean up crew pretty much had it picked clean
I’m sorry to hear that. I haven’t had much luck with Bangaii Cardnals either. Keep trying though! If you want to try a different Cardnal, try Pajamas, they’re hardier than Bangaiis.

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found them to be 50/50. I knew when I saw its belly and head sunken in there was nothing I could do . I am going to try another one, from a different store. One that sells Ora captive bred

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back