New fish not eating

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys do when you buy a new fish and he stops eating. I got a Humu humu 4 days ago. He ate right when he got in the tank and the day after. Then last night this morning nothing. Not showing any signs of illness. Maybe the eyes a tad cloudy.

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be signs of flukes with cloudy eyes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys do when you buy a new fish and he stops eating. I got a Humu humu 4 days ago. He ate right when he got in the tank and the day after. Then last night this morning nothing. Not showing any signs of illness. Maybe the eyes a tad cloudy.

There are many reasons that could happen. About the only thing you can rule out is acclimation stress - that would have been at its worst when the fish first went into the tank, not gotten worse after a couple of days like that.

More background information would be needed to try and narrow this down:

Jay

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the only thing you can rule out is acclimation stress - that would have been at its worst when the fish first went into the tank, not gotten worse after a couple of days like that
Gobies may be different, but my new YWG was out for the first two days, hid for 5 days straight, and is now coming out again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agree , it starts with acclimation, any intimidation by other tank mates, new environment and water quality. Cloudy eyes does not conclude flukes as it can be water, injury, bacterial amd other.
Is fish breathing normal or rapid?
Hiding or swimming at water surface?
Swimming in path of water flow?
Please provide pics/video(of at least 20 secs) under white lighting

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch for new fish being stressed. Sometimes it takes a few days for established fish to size up the new comer before aggression starts. Also disease. Happy healthy fish eat

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree , it starts with acclimation, any intimidation by other tank mates, new environment and water quality. Cloudy eyes does not conclude flukes as it can be water, injury, bacterial amd other.
Is fish breathing normal or rapid?
Hiding or swimming at water surface?
Swimming in path of water flow?
Please provide pics/video(of at least 20 secs) under white lighting
He’s in QT. I guess my question is wouldn’t he have to go through GC/prazipro and copper before going into the DT anyways.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He’s in QT. I guess my question is wouldn’t he have to go through GC/prazipro and copper before going into the DT anyways.

Fish appears to be scoping the tank in distress, but there is more.
You really need to get those plastic plants out as they will fade to some of the plastics leaching the resin coating and silica placed on them and they also have sharp edges in some cases. I see what I believe is a hang on Power filter as your source of filtration. If correct, you are providing mechanical filtration but lacking the necessary chemical and biological filtration for needed water quality and biological processes.
Quaranting is recommended and in lieu of general cure, start with Coppersafe and then follow with PraziPro.
With copper , you want to have reliable copper test kit such as hanna copper kit and maintain treatment level of 2.25-2.5 for a FULL 30 days known as treatment cycle. Prazi will require two treatments one initial for 8 days with a water change and one more application .
With this process, you will want both plants/decor and sand out of the tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish appears to be scoping the tank, but there is more.
You really need to get those plastic plants out as they will fade to some of the plastics leaching the resin coating and silica placed on them and they also have sharp edges in some cases. I see what I believe is a hang on Power filter as your source of filtration. If correct, you are providing mechanical filtration but lacking the necessary chemical and biological filtration for needed water quality and biological processes.
Quaranting is recommended and in lieu of general cure, start with Coppersafe and then follow with PraziPro.
With copper , you want to have reliable copper test kit such as hanna copper kit and maintain treatment level of 2.25-2.5 for a FULL 30 days known as treatment cycle. Prazi will require two treatments one initial for 8 days with a water change and one more application .
With this process, you will want both plants/decor and sand out of the tank
That’s the background lol I appreciate the advice thank you. Is there any reason you don’t like GC?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you try another way to post a video? YouTube really pixelated that one. From what I can see though, the trigger is in distress, head up and breathing fast, and is very thin. That can be a sign of a few different issues, and again, the fact that the fish WAS doing well and now is NOT means that something else is in play, not acclimation stress.

First thing to rule out is water quality issues - mainly ammonia.
You need to test for that with a good test kit.
You can sometimes rule out ammonia/water quality problems if there are other fish in the tank that are NOT showing symptoms (water issues would affect all fish more or less equally).
There is good aeration, so we can rule out oxygen/carbon dioxide issues.

I agree - if you have a lot of plastic/silk plants in there and they are new, they could be leaching something into the water.

Ultimately though, given the cloudy eyes and rapid breathing, I can't rule out a gill infection like velvet.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can’t be because I dosed general cure right.

Sorry? It can't be what? If you meant Velvet, General Cure doesn't treat Velvet.

Jay

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry? It can't be what? If you meant Velvet, General Cure doesn't treat Velvet.

Jay
My apologies i think the water is poisoned we lost 3 fish in two weeks we bought a humu humu today the minute we put him in qt he became lethargic even laid on his side. we moved him right away to another tank and he woke up. It has to be poison.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when a new fish initially eats then stops is due to internal parasites, look for stringy poo. Cloudy et=yes and lethargy can sometimes also be a sign. I mention this because it is very common, and very simple to deal with, treatment with general cure. There can a multitude of possibilities but this one is easy, just keep an eye out.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger right? Try taking some meat on a clam half shell and put it in front of him with the tongs. How I got my niger eating. He wasnt sick though so im not sure if that will help you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back