New Fish Quarantine Questions

NinjaSeaTurtle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an already establish tank about a year ago and today I bought my first fish (2 yellow head jaw fish) to add to it... The site said they only ship Monday-Wednesday so I figured I’d have the weekend to go get a quarantine tank up but I got the email that it’s on it’s way. I happen to have a 10 gallon tank with a bubbler and heater. will this size Quarantine tank and set up be ok for them If I add plenty of PVC to hide in?
also:
1. will I need to add a small power head for flow or is the bubbler enough?
2. Do you just observe the fish for disease or do you always treat (if so what)
3. How long do you Quarantine before adding to the DT?

Thanks and Sorry for probably asking obvious questions but normally I would have researched all this over the weekend, but that isn’t possible now. so I’m trying to make due.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an already establish tank about a year ago and today I bought my first fish (2 yellow head jaw fish) to add to it... The site said they only ship Monday-Wednesday so I figured I’d have the weekend to go get a quarantine tank up but I got the email that it’s on it’s way. I happen to have a 10 gallon tank with a bubbler and heater. will this size Quarantine tank and set up be ok for them If I add plenty of PVC to hide in?
also:
1. will I need to add a small power head for flow or is the bubbler enough?
2. Do you just observe the fish for disease or do you always treat (if so what)
3. How long do you Quarantine before adding to the DT?

Thanks and Sorry for probably asking obvious questions but normally I would have researched all this over the weekend, but that isn’t possible now. so I’m trying to make due.
Where did you get them from? Quarantine isn't required, but some recommend it.
If you do QT that size is fine. I definitely recommend just watching the fish if you do this, no need to harm it by treating something unnecessary. Watch for spots of any kind, any poor behavior, etc.
I do not quarantine in most cases. If I order online I get pre QT fish. If the fish has ich that can be handled, but you want to look very closely for any velvety red, or dark dots, any isolated single spots, and stressed behavior after several days. If all checks out at 7 days, I say its safe to add the fish.
Please don't ever use copper. :)
Bubbler is a fine, if you can get a decent aquarum filter, an Aquaclear 70 would be perfect. That would really help, and you'll want to do water changes, 2 gallons every, 2-3 days!

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't ever use copper. :)
OP should be aware, though, that many experienced reefers do quarantine with copper, and even as a prophylatic for all new incoming fish, and successfully so. I quarantine (and treat) all fish from any vendor who does not quarantine; does quarantine, but has given me nasty treats in the past (e.g. aiptasia on macro); and/or cannot provide to me the exact provenance of the fish. I tend not to quarantine captive-bred fish, but am still well aware that they can still host pathogens and adjust my risk-tolerance level accordingly.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back