New floors, how should I deal with moving a 25 gallon?

Which approach would you take to move a tank to accommodate new flooring installation?

• Choice 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Choice 2

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Other - please explain.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New hardwoods going in next month. No glue, pre finished so I am not concerned about fumes too much. There will be carpet demo and they will screw down the floors to eliminate squeaks and lots of nailing. So, noise and dust. I will also be swapping out the stand. The flooring company says they will work with me on the tank.

Limited characters in the response choices, so...

Choice 1 - Break the tank down a week in advance of the work and set it up in a room that will not be disturbed. Then move it back to its final location after the work is completed at my leisure. Essentially 2 moves over several weeks or more.

Choice 2 - Break the tank down the day of the work (everything in buckets with bubblers and heaters), wait for the work to be done in the area the tank will go (this might take 4-6 hours), and then reassemble the tank back in its final location the same day.

Bonus Question - how do you catch an urchin?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Easy enough to break down a 25g. Prolly will only need 3-4 buckets depending rock work, stocking and holding water.

Urchin I usually catch with some sort of plastic vessel, that will hold the urchin and water to keep its submerged.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choice 2. Did something similar when I moved from a 30 to 60. Used a couple large storage containers I had on hand..

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#2 for sure!

5G buckets for water with fish/corals and put rockwork ontop of a plastic lid in shower and squirt it with a turkey baster with salt water every 15 minutes or so. Hopefully you can have 5-10G new saltwater on hand to use.

I did this for a Rip Clean on my 20G a year plus ago and rock was out of water for 6 hours I think and never had a cycle.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
New hardwoods going in next month. No glue, pre finished so I am not concerned about fumes too much. There will be carpet demo and they will screw down the floors to eliminate squeaks and lots of nailing. So, noise and dust. I will also be swapping out the stand. The flooring company says they will work with me on the tank.

Choice 1 - Break the tank down a week in advance of the work and set it up in a room that will not be disturbed. Then move it back to its final location after the work is completed at my leisure. Essentially 2 moves over several weeks or more.

Choice 2 - Break the tank down the day of the work (everything in buckets with bubblers and heaters), wait for the work to be done in the area the tank will go (this might take 4-6 hours), and then reassemble the tank back in its final location the same day.

For a 25g tank, I would lower water to 1/3 and salvage water removed and restore to tank at new temporary location in your home. It wont weigh much at 1/3 level and will keep bacteria and coral alive. Ive moved entire pet store and personal 240g this way with complete success.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely choice 2

Did something similar when I moved houses that was a 2 hour drive away a few years ago (though it was with a freshwater tank)

It was a 30 gallon so I emptied the tank to 1/3 and kept all the shrimps and rocks in there
Put all the fish in a bucket with heater and air pump that work on AA batteries
So much easier than taking the tank down in advance

Keep an extra bucket with extra water: I messed up and cracked the bucket with the fish in it and that saved me

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back